Trip Report from Bear Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Final Part of Trip Report from Bear Basin

Post by SSSdave »

In 1980 climbed up into Seven Gables saddle and instead of the main peak chose to climb up to more interesting to this person brink of the gables cliff then continued all the way along it to the corner end where one looks down at L lake. Still have old 35mm Kodachromes from that spot looking out over the East Fork Basin. Amusing all the places you are able to bring your dogs much like Buck Forester's dogs. And no doubt...They Like It.

David
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Final Part of Trip Report from Bear Basin

Post by Harlen »

Hey David, Thanks for the reply. Yes, the dogs are even ecstatic at times, and they get us playing right along with them.... and unlike human kids, the dogs can't throw snowballs back at you!
Wasn't it great up there David? And isn't it a hell of a thing to gaze down those curving cliffs? If I was still heading into the mountains mainly to climb things, I reckon one of those long chutes would be just the thing! Has anyone climbed them? Why are there no references in the Roper Climbers Guide?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: Trip Report from Bear Basin

Post by Harlen »

Thanks Cameron,
Congratulations on your fishing successes... apparently Giantbrookie, old ranger, and the other real fishermen are the sort who will only pass on advice if they can kill you soon after.
murph
Topix Newbie

Post by murph »

wonderful photos, thanks for sharing them!!
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

Harlen.
great report-and amazing shots! some real framers there ;)
love the one of you and the dogs gazing off towards unnamed peaks. and the alpenglow Feather Peak is amazing as well.

i had the pleasure of getting out to that area last year and fondly remember how gorgeous the alpenglow was on those peaks-although i didn't luck out on any cloud formations however. those are always spectacular.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Harlen wrote:Thanks Cameron,
Giantbrookie, old ranger, and the other real fishermen are the sort who will only pass on advice if they can kill you soon after.
Actually, many are those who have received the info who are still breathing and fishing today. ;)

With regard to this particular wonderful expedition (all parts nice, but the last part around Seven Gables was particularly stunning) I didn't expect to see many of the key spots thawed, hence I figured that fishing was not a priority. For the usual "coded" version of fishing on a trip that overlaps a touch with this route, see: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 76&p=99570 For the fishing narrative one has to scroll to the end of the post. Yes it was intentionally done that way to disconnect it from the chronological narrative and the route....
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

"... For the fishing narrative one has to scroll to the end of the post. Yes it was intentionally done that way to disconnect it from the chronological narrative and the route...." giantbrookie

Yes, and so you wouldn't have to kill anyone. ;)

I know you're a killer at heart John; I am halfway through the Romance of the Three Kingdoms epic novel you recommended, and the score is Killings~ 15,000*
Romances~ nil- the big "goose-egg!"

*(and a large % involve beheadings, stranglings, and bodies lopped in half!)
So, we reckon you are a killer not a lover. How many fish have you beheaded? :)
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

How did I miss this post?
Great photos of a place I've been but not under those circumstances. A little too much snow for my taste.
It always amazes me to see the colors of the water in Bear Creek.