Need some recommendations for backcountry camping 7\21 - 8\1

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
audiorecordist
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Need some recommendations for backcountry camping 7\21 - 8\1

Post by audiorecordist »

Anyone have any recommendations for 3 - 5 night backpacking trip beginning July 21st? I was originally planning on camping at Tuolume Meadows and heading to Upper Cathedral Lake but just learned that Tuolumne will be closed until August 1st. So bummed! Don't really feel like driving all the way to Tuolumne, having nowhere to camp upon arrival. I always wanna have at least one day for travel and reserve the following day to launch from the trailhead. I am a mellow dude I guess.

What I am looking for is an intermediate to experienced level hiking trail to a nice base camp spot. From there, day hikes to peaks, lakes, or just lounging. The hardest hike I did was up to Big Arroyo, along the HST. That was fantastic because people were passing through, in a rush to somewhere, bypassing all the amazing nooks and crannies of that spectacular valley. So I can handle some steep trails with my 40lbs pack. My main concern are mosquitos. I hate - hate - hate the swarms. That experience is just about not worth going out there. Yes, I realize that I might be headed into a level 5 swarm. That - I really want to avoid, if at all possible. Is that possible?

Any recommendations? I am only familiar with Yosemite and some parts of Sequoia, completely new to the eastern slope and some of the other western entrances. I am hoping that I am not out of luck. I think the conditions will be better in September but that won't work for me. :paranoid:

My abilities:

Backpacking:
Level 2- 3- Numerous backpacking trips, mostly trails, some basic x-country travel

Terraian:
- Class 1 terrain/trail hiking
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Need some recommendations for backcountry camping 7\21 -

Post by wildhiker »

Mosquitoes are going to be a problem no matter where you go. Better be prepared. A head net is a big help. And a proper tent with netting that keeps the buggers out is essential.

Do you already have a reserved wilderness permit for Cathedral Lakes? Those are very popular and thus hard to get. I wouldn't throw it away. Check with the Inyo national forest to see if any of the campgrounds just east of Tioga Pass will be open - that would give you a high altitude scenic first night camp. Tamarack Flat campground in the park near the western end of the Tioga Road (less than 1 hour west of Tuolumne Meadows) is open already because it is lower - about 6,000 feet, I think. It is first-come, first-served only with no reservations. The side road into it is narrow and winding and discourages many. If you drove up early in the day on a weekday you could probably get a spot.

If you don't have a reserved permit, or don't want to take a chance on finding a nearby campground, some of the areas between Yosemite and Tahoe might work. Flying back from the east coast on July 5, I could see that the southwest quarter of Emigrant Wilderness and adjacent part of northwest Yosemite park were completely free of snow already by then. These are all areas under 8,000 feet elevation. There are a lot of small ponds and meadowy areas that can be very buggy, but also lots of open granite where you could make an unconventional camp in a breezier area. See SSSDave's trip report in this area from mid-June at
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =1&t=16131
Should be a lot drier by end of July.
-Phil
audiorecordist
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Need some recommendations for backcountry camping 7\21 -

Post by audiorecordist »

Thanks for the reply wildhiker: yeah I think the mosquitoes will be a nuisance. Is it anyone's guess when they might peak and then taper down? I guess it depends on the location and altitude. I have a head net and tent. Still, with those items, the experience is not easy to enjoy.

I do not have a wilderness permit for Cathedral. I figured I'd be standing in line early to see if I can get lucky. I've been many times in the past. Tamarack is a good recommendation, that is a consideration. I've never checked that place out. I does not seem quite as nice as Tuolumne, but then again it is all the high country has. There is also a cool, more secluded campground on the way to Saddleback Lake, but not sure what the conditions are over there. Anyone know?

I am also looking into the Cottonwoods Lakes Basin trails. I've never been. I figure because it is all the way south, and could be potentially more breezy, the skeeters may not be nearly as bad. Looks like an amazing area too. Anyone have any info?

Thanks!