Help Me Finalize Our HST 9-day Itinerary (Early Aug)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
HappyHiker11
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Help Me Finalize Our HST 9-day Itinerary (Early Aug)

Post by HappyHiker11 »

rlown wrote:Care to share that spreadsheet? they can be uploaded in the post window (upload attachment.)
I will work on doing that for you if it would help anyone. I'm at work on my lunch currently and the doc is in google drive.

I still have some things to input and update in the gear/weight matrix as it's a work in progress right now for 3 people. It was our basic gear matrix to make sure we all had the proper equipment and then I've been slowly updating my section of it with gear weights to keep an eye on where I was approximately sitting.

I also have a full food plan I laid out in an excel doc as well for calculating cals/oz on my menu over the 9 days. I'm pretty happy with how the food plan shaped up. Lets hope it tastes as good as it looks on paper! Almost ready to start re-packaging and breaking things down for the bear cans. How long in advance can I do that? Do freeze-dried / dehydrated meals go bad or anything if repacked into ziplocks for to long? Same with trail mixes & nuts... they all come in sealed zip-locks. Should I wait until the weekend before to bag them up in my daily rations so they don't go stale on me? My rough estimate on food is sitting between 14.5-16 lbs for the 9 days at about 3,000-3,400 cals/day.... then of course plus the BV weight.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Very cool. No hurry. It does help others learn or even assist the more that is shared. :)
HappyHiker11
Topix Acquainted

Post by HappyHiker11 »

Here's the spreadsheet I had for gear with weights being tallied. It's not my finalized list as I'm still working it over and considering conditions etc.

Right now it shows sitting at just under 60 lbs, but that assumes a 2 full liters of h20 being carried along with rough estimated full food supply & camera gear weights. Plus some things I may cut here and there at the end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HappyHiker11
Topix Acquainted

Post by HappyHiker11 »

And here's an abbreviated version of the spreadsheet I had for our meal plan. The rest of the plan not included is just more of similar data in the blocks for each day. It shows the last couple days schedule and the totals section tallied at the bottom along with estimated fuel numbers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HappyHiker11
Topix Acquainted

Post by HappyHiker11 »

Wow. I've been keeping an eye on the conditions out there. Sounds exciting, challenging, and amazing. :eek:

I still have some time for melting and conditions to change, but I'm thinking a few of my goals may get adjusted due to conditions. Such as Precipice and the Gap being mostly snow covered still from what I'm seeing reported.

Are there any opportunities to camp for 2-3 people along the way between Hamilton and Precipice? I thought I had read an account of a spot above the trail some where it was possible. It sounds like the snow doesn't start until closer to Precipice and the Gap. Or is it pretty much pull up in the Hamilton Lakes area or make it to Precipice/Gap or beyond?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

HappyHiker11 wrote: Are there any opportunities to camp for 2-3 people along the way between Hamilton and Precipice? I thought I had read an account of a spot above the trail some where it was possible. It sounds like the snow doesn't start until closer to Precipice and the Gap. Or is it pretty much pull up in the Hamilton Lakes area or make it to Precipice/Gap or beyond?
DSCN0130.jpg
You might be able to see a bit of the trail angling upward on the far left of the picture. This is Hamilton and the slopes around it. Precipice in in a granite bowl near the top out of sight. There is a small-ish campsite at Precipice.
HappyHiker11
Topix Acquainted

Post by HappyHiker11 »

Thanks for the photo share AlmostThere. I can make out the trail running up in the top-left.

Most likely we'll be holding up at Hamilton if it's still snow covered between Precipice and the Gap. But I was hoping to make the next day a shorter more fun day. We'll see what the weather allows it here soon.

I'm familiar with the limited camping situation up there as it's been talked about a lot in my research. I just didn't know if there was any option to hold up with a small group at just below Precipice anywhere. Like just E beyond the gorge or anywhere near the smaller lower lake just below Precipice. So I thought I'd run it by those more familiar / experienced with the area. If it was still snowy/icy in the gap. I was wondering if stopping just below would allow us a shorter next day with most of the climb completed the previous day.

It doesn't appear to promising from the photo though [-X So probably best to hold up at Hamilton if everything is still iced over up top.

In your picture, is the Hamilton Gorge just out of frame to the left and that is the trail leading up E of the gorge to the lower lake below Precipice?
Which you mentioned is in the bowl just out of from in the back top-left. Just making sure I'm looking at it correctly.