Day hikes around Truckee/Tahoe

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
brandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Day hikes around Truckee/Tahoe

Post by brandy »

I would love some day hike suggestions around Truckee. I will be there with the family for a week (next week) and I'm hoping to sneak out early mornings to get some hiking in. I haven't spent any time in this area so I would love to hear what your favorite trails are. Death wish isn't on the agenda this time around, so I'm all ears for what areas might have dangerous water crossings that I ought to avoid. Thank you!
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Day hikes around Truckee/Tahoe

Post by Gazelle »

Donner summit to squaw, Castle peak and/or peter grubb hut, Shirley canyon to Shirley lake and out Squaws high camp, 5 lakes between Squaw and Alpine, Donner summit I-80 to old 40 on pct, Frog Lake cliffs, Loch laven lakes, little further away Mt Rose, Mt Tallac
https://www.gotahoenorth.com/maps/
http://onthesummit.net/wordpress/activities/trails/

Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

If you like wildflowers, don't miss the Sagehen Creek trail. Head north on highway 89 towards Sierra Valley. At about 8 miles, you cross Sagehen Creek with a parking area immediately at the northeast side of the bridge. A trail starts there and heads gently down the creek valley through open Jeffrey pine forest about 2.5 miles to the upper end of Stampede Reservoir. There are numerous wildflowers all the way along the trail, and especially in the big meadows at the end. If you are lucky, the camas lilies (deep purple) will be in bloom in the meadows - sometimes they literally carpet the meadow. This is low elevation and was already melted out in May.

Castle Valley from Donner Summit - at the Boreal/Castle Peak exit, go to the north side of the freeway and up the very short spur road to park by the gate. Then you can walk up the jeep trail up the valley to hit the PCT just before Castle Pass and take it over the pass and down to Round Valley and then on as far as you want towards Canada! From the pass, there is a use trail that heads east directly up the ridge to the top of Castle Peak. There may still be a lot of snow banks in this area next week.

PCT south from old Donner Pass - take the old Donner Pass road (not the freeway) from Donner Lake up to the pass. Immediately after the pass, there is a side paved road to the left (signed for Lake Mary, I believe?). A short distance down that road you find a PCT trailhead with limited roadside parking. You could also park back at the highway and walk the short distance down the side road. The PCT switchbacks up the ridge and as it starts to get into the Sugar Bowl ski area, there is a side trail to the left over to Donner Peak and eventually up to the top of Mt Judah and back down the south slope of Mt Judah to the PCT again at Roller Pass. This makes a nice day loop, but I'm afraid there will still be a LOT of snow on these north facing slopes next week.

A fun short hike (about 5 miles round trip) is on the new connector trail up Johnson Canyon to the Donner Lake Rim Trail. Head up I-80 from Truckee. After it climbs past Donner Lake, take the Donner Lake exit that heads back down to the west end of the lake. But don't go down there. Instead, go immediately right (north) from the exit for just a hundred yards or so to the end of the road in Johnson Canyon where there is a fancy new trailhead and a nice new trail that heads all the way up the canyon to the ridge behind. This was already free of snow in mid-June, but there was still about 4 feet of snow on the top at that time.

Picnic rock - if you want a quick short hike to a great view of Lake Tahoe, take highway 267 south past Northstar and over Brockway Summit. Just south of the summit about 1/4 mile, you will see a large parking area on the right. This is a trailhead for the Tahoe Rim Trail. Park and cross over to the east side of the highway and head up the TRT. In about 1.5 miles there is a spur trail on the left that goes up to Picnic Rock - a large open rocky area with a great view of the entire Lake Tahoe basin.

-Phil
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I think Gazelle and wildhiker covered it well. I'll just add that I hiked to the Loch Leven lakes on the 4th and it was perfect up there. Jumped in for a quick swim and the water felt great.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

How were the wildflowers Carne?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

maverick wrote:How were the wildflowers Carne?
Some blooms, but I would guess past the peak. There is still a good amount of water flowing, though. Saw some nice lilies right off the trail.

Edit: Did see these hiking off trail to a nice viewpoint above the High Loch Leven.
IMG_7707.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Great Suggestions here. I would only add that if you go PAST Sagehen Creek and take the road out to Jackson Meadows Reservoir, you can hike the PCT for a few miles going North and get a lovely view of the Sierra Buttes....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
brandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by brandy »

You guys are awesome! I am so thankful to have this forum for research on trip planning, suggestions and conditions. Every time I have asked for help, I receive fantastic responses. :)