2 Night Trip Over Harrington Pass Worth It?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
zwoij
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

2 Night Trip Over Harrington Pass Worth It?

Post by zwoij »

My friend and I have found a short window in early August for a backpacking trip. We are considering Lewis Creek trail to Harrington Pass to at least look into the Gorge of Despair and the Swamp Lakes. Unfortunately, I think he'll get there too late to make a fast push up to Frypan Meadow on the first evening, but we will have 3 full days after camping near a trailhead.

The question is whether it's worth the climb to Harrington for such a short trip. If not, do you have other ideas? Both of us are level 3 backpackers, comfortable with cross country travel, but want to avoid dangerous creek crossings. We don't want heavy snow travel but don't mind a bit. We are interested in solitude, high elevation (as much as possible with the snow) the beauty of lakes, peaks, canyons, etc. A little fishing is a bonus. We plan to be light and fast this trip. A west side trailhead anywhere is fine.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2 Night Trip Over Harrington Pass Worth It?

Post by maverick »

Would recommend added at least one more day, the time you have now is just to short, but is doable, but it will not be as enjoyable, and you have no extra time in case of weather delays. Lot's of places to see near GOD and Crystal Creek, and then there is Swamp and Slide Lakes too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
zwoij
Topix Acquainted

Post by zwoij »

This will probably be my last chance for a good hike in the Sierra for about two years, as we are moving to Europe. I already asked my friend to add a day, but he can't swing it. There's just too much to see. We will discuss options and decide if this is worth it or if something else catches our imagination.
henryfk
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by henryfk »

Just finished a quick 3 day blast on Maverick's route over Granite through Volcanic Lakes up around Slide and Swamp, back over Harrington.
What an amazing epic route, going places one wouldn't think to venture. Got a bit off route when had to make a class 5 move to clear a head-wall above Kennedy Lake. If I had more time, there was good fishing on the way and peaks to top. Time is short these days.
Four weeks ago there was still so much snow that a lot of terrain wasn't recognizable.
This is a journey worth repeating.
zwoij
Topix Acquainted

Post by zwoij »

Thanks for the input henryfk. Our plan now is to focus on Volcanic Lakes. Will go up Lewis Creek, explore Volcanic Lakes, and come down Copper Creek. Might check out some things on the east of Volcanic Lakes as time allows. We would love to check out the Slide and Swamp Lakes and the Gorge of Despair, but there's only so much we can do in a short trip. At least we will get to explore a new area, go off trail a bit, and do a little fishing along the way.