TR: Emigrant 7/7-7/9

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
venturefar
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Emigrant 7/7-7/9

Post by venturefar »

I got a late start on Friday afternoon and did not get on the trail at Kennedy Meadows until about 6:30. I camped just beyond Grouse Creek for the night. There were some mosquitoes around. Not head net worthy yet but they will be bad soon. I got an early start on Saturday morning to make any snow travel as easy possible. I encountered snow right before sheep camp at about 8700'. It was pretty much solid snow the rest of the way after that.

Sheep Camp

I trudged through Lunch Meadow on sun cups looking for a spot to ford Summit Creek.

Lunch Meadow

Sun cups in Lunch Meadow

The trail made a brief appearance in Lunch Meadow

I found a shallow, not too swift, snow bridge free spot to cross Summit Creek. The water was knee deep and PAINFULLY cold.

After crossing Summit Creek I headed over Mosquito Pass to Emigrant Lake. It was slow going but beautiful. I ran across some fresh bear tracks between Mosquito Pass and Emigrant Lake. Thankfully they were heading in the opposite direction.

Leaving Summit Creek

Looking back down on Lunch Meadow

Toward Mosquito Pass

Bear tracks

Between Mosquito Pass and Emigrant Lake

The inlet of Emigrant was flowing strong.

Emigrant lake was mostly frozen.

I got an early start on Sunday to make the snow travel easier. I made good time and even enjoyed my first glissade at one point. I capped off a fun trip with a burger and a beer at the trailhead restaurant.

@aguabonita
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Emigrant 7/7-7/9

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report. The lingering snows are quite a contrast with what I encountered 2000-3000' lower (elev range mostly 6000-6500') in the north Sierra crest area (Lakes Basin area) where we ran into snow patches at only one destination. Whereas the snowline drops in elevation northward, it doesn't drop by 2000+ feet. From where we were it would be easy to think that the high temperatures of this early summer were accelerating the thaw and bringing things close to "normal" for summer, but your photos show that the impact of the heavy winter still lingers.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks for the report. Shows those higher Emigrant areas are not going to be worth visiting until about the fourth week of the month. Higher elevations from Yosemite north received more snow than the Southern Sierra. Would expect the southern Emigrant areas are already fine if one can fine ways to cross streams. From what I saw at the end of June from Styx Pass, much below 8.5k will be melted out.

Generally have been surprised at the lack of reports across the Sierra Nevada on several web boards after the 4th holiday and suspect that is because numbers of groups hiked out, looked at dangerous stream crossings, turned around cutting short holiday routes, and have been too embarrassed to tell boring tales.

David
Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sierra_Summits »

Thanks for the report! I'm thinking of going to this area, Hoover wilderness, and north of Sonora pass this year so this helps to give me an idea of what it looks like! Still so much snow!
"Heaven is here on Earth!"

--Bob Marley
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Greetings venturefar

Thanks for the report.

I went to Emigrant Basin for seven days two years ago. At the time, it was the best option to get away from smoke. The water level of the lakes was very low; they looked like a ring around the bathtub. I'm glad to see the substantial snowpack this year.
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

Great early season shots ! It's been too long since I've been out that way.
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by tmorton23 »

This report was very useful! In a month, I'll be heading from Kennedy Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows and I am amazed at the amount of snow that still exists. I'm curious if I will be seeing snow over Brown Bear, Bond, and Bensen passes.
Glider
Topix Newbie

Post by Glider »

We will also be doing a round trip from Kennedy to Yosemite Valley and back. Probably leaving 8/4/17. If snow is still an issue, we may decide to start at the Valley floor and resupply at Kennedy, then return. We wanted to do the entire Tahoe-Yosemite trail, but too many trail closures still and water crossings too iffy. Let me know if you hear anything useful. We'll probably see you on the trail!
Glider: info@pushtherapy.com
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

Thanks for the report. I am planning a 6 night trip with my wife and son the 2nd week of September. We were there last when the huge fire was burning below at Cherry Lake. I hope to have much clearer views this time. We are going in September to avoid the snow and bugs after the huge snowy winter.
Jeff
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by tmorton23 »

Glider wrote:We will also be doing a round trip from Kennedy to Yosemite Valley and back. Probably leaving 8/4/17. If snow is still an issue, we may decide to start at the Valley floor and resupply at Kennedy, then return. We wanted to do the entire Tahoe-Yosemite trail, but too many trail closures still and water crossings too iffy. Let me know if you hear anything useful. We'll probably see you on the trail!
Glider: info@pushtherapy.com
I'm heading out on 8/12/17. Hopefully, the next 4 weeks sees some streams start to recede a bit.

There's definitely going to be some "refreshing" fords. :eek: