North Lake to Florence Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jorrflv
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: North Lake to Florence Lake

Post by jorrflv »

David,

Thank you for the response... it sounds like the best plan will be to drop down out from Davis lake and head up Goddard canyon... set up a base camp at the junction with PCT for a day and check out some of the area before heading out at Florence... hell for sure pass was intriguing on the map but it sounds like what I stated above is a better plan for days 5-7. It is all a new area for me so I appreciate the suggestions.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A day-trip part way up Piute Canyon would be very scenic too. The creek should be amazing and roaring! Another side-trip to the lakes in upper Darwin Basin (the lakes south of Alpine Col) is really scenic. I think there are plenty of beautiful side-trips that you can take in place of Red Lakes Basin, which honestly are better seen on a separate trip from Courtright Reservoir. PCT hikers have written that Senger Creek crossing currently requires wading. There are really nice campsites just after the bridge crosses the San Joaquin near Florence inlet. You would go that way if you walk out to the road. Evidently the ferry service is not yet fully running. Since you would not be able to cross to the hot springs, I would skip the established camping near Muir Ranch. I find that camp area really over-used and a bit disgusting.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am confused about "drop down from Davis Lake and head up Goddard". You go DOWN Goddard to get to the junction with Piute Canyon. If you are going to head "up" Goddard, say to Martha Lake, you could also traverse higher into Martha Lake (not a good plan for the next few weeks due to snow.)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Florence ferry started July 1.

Going through Davis from WAnda to Goddard sounds like a broken leg - snow over boulder fields is not fun.
jorrflv
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jorrflv »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I am confused about "drop down from Davis Lake and head up Goddard". You go DOWN Goddard to get to the junction with Piute Canyon. If you are going to head "up" Goddard, say to Martha Lake, you could also traverse higher into Martha Lake (not a good plan for the next few weeks due to snow.)
Drop down from Davis lake into Goddard canyon... yes then continue down Goddard canyon (north) out to the intersection with PCT.