TR: Mono Pass day hike July 2

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
venturefar
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Mono Pass day hike July 2

Post by venturefar »

I day hiked up to Mono Pass on Sunday July 2 to get an idea of conditions. After a knee deep crossing of the the Dana fork it was easy to follow the trail up to Mono pass. There were a few patches of snow but nothing that obscured the trail for any considerable distance. The use trail that follows Parker Pass Creek up to Spillway Lake has much more snow and is harder to follow than the main trail. I fished a couple of the nearby lakes and landed several small brookies and a decent brown that was a pleasant surprise. Mosquitoes were not yet out in force.

Mono Pass

heading back toward Tioga Rd.

10k Brownie

@aguabonita
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR: Mono Pass day hike July 2

Post by maverick »

Thanks for posting this TR and pictures VF! :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

One of my favorite areas! Nice to see that it is melting out already. Maybe I'll backpack up there toward the end of July.
-Phil
ericZ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ericZ »

Nice brown trout! way odd and unexpected, huh?

eric
fresno, ca.
rhyang
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by rhyang »

Awesome !

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice brown---I'm glad to see the browns are up and about there. Funny thing about that lake is that I caught a number of browns there but they were all small (brookies I caught there actually ran a tad bigger), and certainly much smaller than yours. You're really getting out and calibrating the thaw for us. It's interesting to compare up and down the Sierra, looking at what you found here compared to what you ran into 5 days later up in Emigrant, for example. Thanks for the reports.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

Judging by the signage and unfamiliar place names, this must be the Mono Pass in Yosemite. I'm only familiar with the Mono Pass between Rock Creek Lake and Lake Edison.