Advice for Off-Trail: In Lamarck Lakes out Kearsage Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sloth
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Advice for Off-Trail: In Lamarck Lakes out Kearsage Pass

Post by sloth »

Route: Lamarck Col>JMT> Palisades Basin(Knapsack/Potluck/Cirque Passes)> Dumbell Lakes>Dumbell/Cartridge Passes>Whitefork Pass>JMT>Basin Notch/60 Lakes Basin> Kearsage Pass

My hiking partner and I are both and class 3 backpackers (from the PNW) looking at the above route for a mid september trip. Experienced with Class2 travel with a full pack. Used to do a lot of rock climbing, curious to see how (class 3) potluck pass goes with a pack. Have hiked at elevation before; no issues so far, but plan on spending the night before the trip at onion valley. Some snow travel experience (my partner has more), but would prefer to avoid anything that would need an ice axe. Planning on taking 9 days for the trip. I typically aim for ~20mile days on trail and ~10mile days cross country. I have a few questions about route choice and any input would be appreciated. This is intended to be an ambitious trip for us, and will be the longest sequence of cross country travel I have done. My backup plan would be to just hike the JMT through this section or bypass some of the basins on the JMT if I need to dial down the difficulty of the trip for whatever reason. On to my questions.

1) I am not sure how to balance the later-in-the-year of a mid september trip with the high snow this year. If there are still lingering patches of snow even in mid september, which parts of the route should I be worried about the most. (I would want to avoid steep exposed slopes that would require an ice axe. Would you expect the cornice above Amphitheater lake still be problematic?)

2) Recommendations for access to the Dumbell lakes from Palisade lakes.
Option1: JMT/Mather pass to Upper Basin/Upper Basin Cross/Cataract Creek Pass.
Option2: JMT down the golden staircase, up Cataract Creek, over the pass.
Option3: Further down the JMT, over Adventurer/Observation Peak Passes.

3) Still planning out where each day will end. Any recommendations for definite must see areas to stop and make camp? For example, Should I plan on stopping at the Dumbell Lakes, or plan on making it over the pass to setup camp in the Lakes basin?

4) I have a couple of days extra in the plan, in case we need the buffer to acclimitize to the altitude or the off-trail is more difficult than expected. If everything goes perfectly, and we have extra time and energy, is there anything near this route that would be a mistake to miss? Loop out through Gardiner Basin? Side trip to Center Basin?

Thanks for any input you may have. I'll bring a camera and be back on the site to write up a TR sometime in the fall.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice for Off-Trail: In Lamarck Lakes out Kearsage Pass

Post by Hobbes »

Paging BlueWater. He's been through every inch of the area you've described, some in alpine conditions, some dry. Try and search for his TRs or shoot him a PM to alert him to this thread.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I did Dumbbell Lakes etc after a fairly heavy winter (1993) that wasn't quite as heavy as this one but I did the trip much earlier: late July, so here's what I think this will translate to for mid September this year:

In late July 1993 the cornices of Cataract Pass were indeed an issue, but I don't think they will be by mid September this year. In late July 1993 we found the low point completely blocked by an immense cornice. The next small swale to the north appeared to be blocked, too, but the snow had melted back a bit so you could wriggle and wedge up between the snow and rock and get through. Given this experience, I'd expect you'd find free passage as of mid September, if not by the main low point, then just a smidge north where we pushed through. In July 1993 Palisade Creek was uncrossable at Deer Meadow if one had to wade, but there was this huge downed log that provided a way across. By mid September I don't expect Palisade Creek to have as much water as late July 1993. We did not do Potluck etc. We were coming in from South Lake, and we went from high Dusy over Knapsack then descended Barrett Creek staying entirely on its west side through the steeper reaches. This was a great route for us (and stunning with high water in the slot canyon--use trail stayed safely above but in places we were cooled by the spray) but at least one other group had a horrible time doing this a few years later (may have done last part of descent on E side of Barrett Creek,though). We had a ton of medium sized stream crossings that got us very wet both on the Barrett side and Cataract side, but I don't think these will be anything like this by mid September. I'm not sure about the relative merits of the different approaches other than Cataract Creek itself. This is a pretty and enjoyable route except for the lower portion just above Palisade Creek. The lowest portion is one of those deadfall steeplechases--a bit tedious. I've been over the pass that goes from that big unnamed lake with the islands in it (W of Observation Peak) to the lower part of the Dumbbell Lakes basin (gets you in downstream of the lowest lakes). This is a really neat class 2 route, but I haven't done the part btw the trail below and the lake of the islands (did round trip from Dumbbells) which would be the greatest amount of elevation gain of that route. I think the simplest and probably easiest route (saving the exit to Lakes Basin as your exit rather than entry route) into the Dumbbells that fits into your general route plan is the standard ascent up Cataract Creek.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Try and search for his TRs or shoot him a PM to alert him to this thread.
Bluewater's webpage: http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.com/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

1) I am not sure how to balance the later-in-the-year of a mid september trip with the high snow this year. If there are still lingering patches of snow even in mid september, which parts of the route should I be worried about the most. (I would want to avoid steep exposed slopes that would require an ice axe. Would you expect the cornice above Amphitheater lake still be problematic?)

2) Recommendations for access to the Dumbell lakes from Palisade lakes.
Option1: JMT/Mather pass to Upper Basin/Upper Basin Cross/Cataract Creek Pass.
Option2: JMT down the golden staircase, up Cataract Creek, over the pass.
Option3: Further down the JMT, over Adventurer/Observation Peak Passes.

3) Still planning out where each day will end. Any recommendations for definite must see areas to stop and make camp? For example, Should I plan on stopping at the Dumbell Lakes, or plan on making it over the pass to setup camp in the Lakes basin?

4) I have a couple of days extra in the plan, in case we need the buffer to acclimitize to the altitude or the off-trail is more difficult than expected. If everything goes perfectly, and we have extra time and energy, is there anything near this route that would be a mistake to miss? Loop out through Gardiner Basin? Side trip to Center Basin?

1) Would not expect the cornice on CCP to be an issue, and if there is anything of it left, it will be easy to by pass it, which I have done.

2) Your Option 2 is the most direct entry, with the least amount of resistance. :) Have gone into Observation Lakes Basin by entering west of Shakspere, beautiful basin with great view towards the Devils Crag and Black Divide, but Amphitheater Lakes Basin is quite pretty to and is larger, more spread out. If photography was my number one goal, the OLB would win. UBC is your most difficult entry into that area and if a heavy pack, going up Cataract Creek is your safer option.

3) You will need to make that decision, many of these section have a lot to offer, only one or two days does not do them justice. My personal preference would be to do some exploring in at least some of these basins, they have a lot to offer and see, just running thru them is a shame.
Route: Lamarck Col>JMT> Palisades Basin(Knapsack/Potluck/Cirque Passes)> Dumbell Lakes>Dumbell/Cartridge Passes>Whitefork Pass>JMT>Basin Notch/60 Lakes Basin> Kearsage Pass
Way to much with the crosscountry sections included. Going in via Lamarck to Darwin Bench (must stay), then down the JMT to maybe LeConte Canyon (camp), up into Dusy Basin (another must stay), K/P/C Passes (Potluck nor Cirque are the easiest) to Amph Lakes Basin or Observation Lakes Basin, this day could be pushing it (Must stay), CCP or OLB into DBB (Must stay), Lakes Basin (Must stay) to Bench Lake (Must stay), Striped Mtn Basin (Must stay), Taboose Pass Traihead or camp at site at 9600 ft level of eastern side. This would make a decent 9 day trip, but could be pushing it too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Agree with Maverick. Route given your input of usual pack weights, could make for three strenuous week long trips, much less one. Should slow down so one has time to look at, and explore what one is going through to enjoy these areas, not rush through like it is a strenuous pounding speed event.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... les-0.html
sloth
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by sloth »

Thank you all for the input. I really appreciate it. It will help with the planning, and I will look into maybe shortening our exit point.