Anyone been up Hilgard Creek yet?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Anyone been up Hilgard Creek yet?

Post by Harlen »

Planning a week trip up to Bear Basin from Edison, using either Bear Creek Trail, or Bear Ridge trail, both of which skirt north of the dangerous part of Bear Creek. The only potential problem area I see is the tight 1/2 mile gorge section ~ 3 miles up Hilgard Branch, 1/4 mile north of that little peaklet at 10,800'. I suppose this year that section might be full up?!

If it is, then the East Fork would be another, safer option, but I was hoping to make a new circle- H. Branch to White Bear Pass, into Bear Basin, then back out via East Fork.

I believe I'll miss the worst of raging Bear Creek with this route, the only questionable area is that section of Hilgard Branch. It looks possible to cut out that scary section entirely by scrambling up the slope to the south- moving around Peaklet 10,800, then back down to the widened H. Branch again. Has anyone any knowledge to share?

giantbrookie, Ska-T , you seem to know the area well. Thanks for any other current trail condition insights, Harlen.

p.s. no safety warnings needed; I am a lily-livered, chicken-hearted fellow, who will back my feathered arse out any danger that arises.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Anyone been up Hilgard Creek yet?

Post by giantbrookie »

Harlen, although I've been up Bear Creek in years past to Sandpiper and vicinity, my two trips to Bear Basin have come in from the east side, so I've never gone up the Hilgard Branch. The closest I've done is simply to descend a tiny bit from Lake Italy before ascending to White Bear Pass. One thing I think we can count on is that there will be a lot of water in the Hilgard branch itself which may be a bit of an issue depending on how often the track up the canyon crosses the stream.

Here's a thought, though. You are very experienced in travel over snow, including pretty steep snow. Have you considered going into Bear Basin from the east side, such as Little Lakes Valley? In a heavy snowfall year, the "Cox Col es ist nicht" route (ie going over rounded highpoint N of the low gap N of Bear Creek Spire to Lake Italy), as I like to call it, would be easier than usual because (1) you have a more comforting runout below some of the steeper parts and (2) some of the areas of talus scrambling (which really aren't so bad, anyway) would be covered by snow and easier walking. When I did this in 2015 at the beginning of August it was so dry that there we completely dodged snow on the east side of this crossing. In contrast when I crossed this in 8/8/1986 ('86 was a heavy winter but not as heavy as this one) the upper snowfield on the east side was a bit scary because it it is fairly steep and it sloped steeply into talus rather than having a mellower runout as it would probably have in early August or late July of this year.

Once over the crest, then the question becomes the state of the Lake Italy outlet, to decide which way to walk around the lake. I would imagine this can be gauged partly by how much water you see coming in the inlets. If the runoff isn't horrendous, then the north side of Italy is preferred, but if the runoff looks pretty bad there is a chance the crossing at the downstream end of L. Italy is dicey in which case one may have to gut out going around the lake on the S side. Once on the S side (either by crossing at or near the outlet, or going around the lake on the S side) it is but a short descent before peeling off to head for White Bear Pass. From there, the next issue is White Bear Pass but the ideal route avoids the steepest part on the top by benches that face west, so it should be OK.

The other alternative is to go in via Pine Creek from Granite Park (I think this is called Granite-Bear pass or something like that). The steep part on this pass is shorter than the steeper sections of going over the crest from Little Lakes Valley, but the top can become corniced in some years and be nearly impassable. An advantage in a super heavy snowfall year such as this one is that IF the top isn't totally corniced, the bottom will probably have a nice runout. The biggest advantage of this route is that it is absolutely the fastest way into Bear Basin: my wife and I were into Bear Basin on Day 1 on a 3-day trip in 1992 (Sept of a dry year so absolutely no snow).

I guess my own preference is to go into Bear Basin from the east because I dislike the rather long approach through the "mid country" from the west. The eastern approaches don't have the stream crossing issues, but they will involve more travel over snowy passes, but that is something you've done a lot of. My one trip up Bear Creek was to climb Seven Gables (went into Lou Beverly July 22, 1988--this was a pretty dry year so the streams weren't an issue) on a 3 day trip (my dad's 60th birthday celebration).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

When are the dates of your planned trip?
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

First, thanks to "GB" for the excellent suggestions. They all make good sense, but our friend C. needs to be back at Mono HS to connect with his girlfriend, and ride home. We too prefer the direct routes into Bear Basin, and have done all of them except Cox Col, and they are still one of our options.

Secondly, Mike we are thinking of heading in around the 5th of July.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I have been up the Hilgard branch only once, but that was in early May of a light snow year, so probably pretty similar to what is now there in terms of snowpack, though less stream flows than this year I expect. That narrow section stays far enough above the creek that high water should not be a big issue. You have to pay close attention to finding where the trail goes into that narrows, as it's not so obvious when the trail leading to it is covered in snow. I got lucky - one of the locals - a Mr. Wile E. Coyote - had been through there ahead of me and all I had to do was follow his tracks.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Great news Paul, sounds like it's worth a look at least.
Do you reckon that guy you met [Wile E. Coyote] is a member of this forum? It would be nice to get a private message to him to clarify that route through the narrows. Thanks Paul.
Last edited by Harlen on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
druid
Topix Regular

Post by druid »

I came down the Hilgard Branch from White Bear Pass late last July. I agree with Paul that the trail in the section you mention stays well above the creek and shouldn't be a problem. Where the use trail crosses towards Teddy Bear Lake the creek is fairly narrow and moderately steep, however. It wasn't a problem at all last year but that may not be the case next week. It might be better to continue higher up to where the topo shows the main trail to Lake Italy crosses and then double back.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

More great news, and advice. Thanks Druid.

By the way, my Bear Basin hiking buddy and great friend is Irish/Scots, and fancies himself kin to the Druids .... do I dare show you our best photo of him?
Well Druid, does our Carleton look like one your tribe?
carltonsleapsummer2009 322.jpg
And do all you Druids leap naked into freezing lakes?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
druid
Topix Regular

Post by druid »

Yes, he's much more brazen than your average forest dweller, but the tongue technique is a dead giveaway.

Here's a picture of what I think is your choke point from above. I'm not sure how helpful this will be since you will be coming up from the other side through a lot of snow. As I recall the trail goes over the little bluff behind the darker green trees near the middle of the photo.
h.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Well, I never had the pleasure of meeting the gentleman, though I followed his tracks all over the area and heard him singing a few times. Dude has a set of pipes. Probably not a member - he kinda keeps to himself. Too bad, his local knowledge would be helpful for sure - he gets out a lot and goes just about everywhere