Anyone been up Hilgard Creek yet?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Anyone been up Hilgard Creek yet?

Post by SSSdave »

I just drove across Sonora Pass and Tioga Pass this week. I've been up the Hilgard Branch twice. You may run into more snow than expected. Look at this topo of the area.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.34560,-118.84662&z=15&t=T

There will be snow in shady areas above 9k along Bear Creek, especially in shady forest if it is similar to what I saw along the highways. The section I expect to have the most snow is between 9850 and 10040 because that section is in a deep east and west ridge blocked hole. It also has heavy forest for more shade. There may also be areas of deep avalanche snow piles because most of the canyon walls are high and steep. Other than the above, all those higher basin areas above you are targeting will be huge bright snow fields with frozen lakes. My own two cents would be where the canyon doglegs at 8.8k (below Kip Camp offtrail) will be the most enjoyable zone, free of snow, warm, and lots of big whitewater.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... les-0.html
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Thanks David, we'll check the maps and try to sort out your good advice. and thanks also to Druid, for the nice reply and helpful photo. Cheers, Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

You can camp below (west of) 'Mist Peak' or Recess Peak day one, (bag little Volcanic Knob), bag Recess then cross into Hilgard Creek below its confluence, just by traversing SSE. Worked for me. (In a snow-less early season trip...) Being a big west facing slope I'd expect it be mushy but snow free-ish. Just another option. I found that area, just at and below the confluence {by which I mean well above the Italy lake drainage}, spectacular.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks gib! I am going to try to talk Lizzie into it. Do you reckon that Recess Peak is a dog friendly climb? We are looking for things to do on this 8 day trip, and adding in a climb up Recess Peak might be just the thing for one of our days. Nope, Lizzie nixed Recess Peak when she heard the word "aretes" on all sides in the Roper Guide, but your description of the area above Italy ("spectacular") and Ropers class 2 south slopes of Hilgard are heading us that way. So instead, we could climb Hilgard either late on the second day, or early on the third and carry on over White Bear Pass for the night up high in Bear Basin. Perfect, we're getting really excited- off tomorrow! Thanks a lot gib.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.