Advice: Bear Lakes Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice: Bear Lakes Basin

Post by giantbrookie »

SSSdave wrote:and what has Buck been up to?
David
Not to get off topic, but I wonder, too.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Google or search "Gabe and Garrett" on YouTube. The man has struck gold (check out the number of views!). Was able to quit his job and do that channel full time. Happy for him. His kids are at or near the age to take them on some of his former Sierran adventures. I joked with him on FB not too long ago that he needs to get back to it with his kids - that new G&G episodes like that would be awesome. :)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

ERIC wrote:Google or search "Gabe and Garrett" on YouTube. The man has struck gold (check out the number of views!). Was able to quit his job and do that channel full time. Happy for him. His kids are at or near the age to take them on some of his former Sierran adventures. I joked with him on FB not too long ago that he needs to get back to it with his kids - that new G&G episodes like that would be awesome. :)
He has a heck of collection of Sierra photos on Flickr but not much recently. However, according to his profile page that might change soon:

"P.S. After a few years break from serious wilderness adventure exploration and photography due to getting married and having a couple amazing boys, my little guys are getting big enough now to start doing some cooler stuff. I hope to start getting some new wilderness shots this summer as I adventure with my boys!"
-------------
Dave | flickr
giantbrookie
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Neat. It would be fun to have him back in the Sierra in family mode. I can certainly relate having gone through a similar transition (with having kids, that is--had been married for long time). In the past few years the kids have been a big part of many great Sierran adventures, even if the occasional "advanced" trip is something reserved for their dad, at least for now. Anyhow I hope we'll all be seeing new posts from Buck soon.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bmac
Topix Novice

Post by Bmac »

Your original plan is not overly ambitious. If you want more time to play around, just go to royce lakes on day one... it is all trail until the last 2 miles and nothing is that steep. I do a 3 day trip doing that basic route every year, minus the peaks. There is nothing over class 2, except maybe the peaks (i havent done those)
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

I did the original write-up on Bearoyce pass. I did it twice and while it is not difficult without snow it is
As another post suggests" a slog". Both times I did it in September. My guess is that there will be steep snow on the Royce lake side this year, even in August, which may make this pass difficult without ice ax. It is a convenient pass and has a great unique view, but some caution is warranted.