TR Long Lake - South Fork Bishop Creek 6-23-17

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR Long Lake - South Fork Bishop Creek 6-23-17

Post by cloudlesssky »

I took a quick hike up the south fork of Bishop Creek to see the snow conditions for myself. I have a overnight permit for Dusy Basin in a couple weeks and was curious what the snowpack looked like. The trail turned to predominantly snow starting at the switchbacks below Long Lake. The water is really running and the rocks normally used to cross the Chocolate Lakes inlet to Long Lake were all submerged. By the time I hit the Bishop Creek inlet end of the lake it was 100% snow. I saw very few snow-free spots to camp. I sat at the south end of the lake and enjoyed the view while I ate a Clif Bar and then turned back and hiked out. I think I'll try Dusy Basin later in the season.
IMG_1700.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR Long Lake - South Fork Bishop Creek 6-23-17

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the report and telling photo, thought the lake would have been a little more thawed out.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Wow, thanks for the first hand conditions report and photo. Yes, this is an impressively late thaw, and like Maverick, I too expected to see this lake much more thawed (if not completely ice free) as of this date. Anyhow, this is a very important 'calibration point' that I will use to add to my "thaw" dataset for future years (I compare thaw times for various years with snow course measurements for predicting thaw times in various seasons).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

That is just about what Long Lake, up Rock Creek looked like last Friday. Thanks for the report.