Incident on Donohue Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Incident on Donohue Pass

Post by giantbrookie »

Hobbes wrote:That being said, I think perhaps some are being too judgmental. Or, there's limited exposure to this kind of character so it's more shocking. Maybe I'm inured since I live by the beach in SoCal and see similar behavior on a daily basis. It's just what the males of the species does; it's not unique, weird or altogether remarkable in any way. That's not to say society shouldn't act to moderate or protect itself - after all, that's what speed limits and prohibitions against exhibition of speed are all about.
Yes perhaps I am being a bit harsh on the dude, and I agree that there is nothing really unusual about this guy's boasts. I am a product of decades of playing street basketball, so trash talking and chest thumping is part of my native culture. In that world, though, one had better to back up their talk if they want to show their face around the playground again. If someone yells at the defender "you can't guard me", but then gets their crossover dribble stripped, I don't figure most would post a video of that or tell the story of that on their blog. This guy's posts are sort of like somebody saying they hit an off-balance 3-pointer over the fingertips of Kevin Durant and his 7'5" wingspan (ie that would be considered an ill-advised shot to take, but it went in against incredible odds), whereas the real story is that they got their foul-line jump shot swatted back in their face by their 5'0" baby brother. The playground ballers' response to this guy's "shred the gnar" bellow: "Take that weak sh-- home".

On a serious note, though, all false bravado aside, I think what pretty much all of us Topix folk find most objectionable about this fellow and others of a similar ilk are that they promote unsafe practice. Whereas these guys and others of their ilk are welcome to receive (posthumous) Darwin awards when they fail their last stream crossing, they put others at risk, including search and recovery folks trying to retrieve their carcasses, with their behavior and posts.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

giantbrookie wrote: they put others at risk, including search and recovery folks trying to retrieve their carcasses, with their behavior and posts.
In Warren vs DC, a Federal appellate court ruled that law enforcement officers do **not** owe a specific duty to provide police services to citizens based on the public duty doctrine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v. ... f_Columbia

Since national park rangers are technically law enforcement officers, they fall under this doctrine. In fact, along the spectrum, the ruling can be applied to firemen, lifeguards and others charged/entrusted with public safety duties. Furthermore, purely volunteer efforts like search & rescue (SAR) have no obligation whatsoever.

Now, let's flip the perspective over and examine it from the standpoint of the average citizen. What it means is that cops, firemen, lifeguards, rangers and other public safety officials **cannot** prevent you from duly exercising your right to engage in (risky) behavior that is primarily detrimental to your own safety. Obviously, trails & beaches can be closed, roads closed, areas evacuated under general standing orders, etc, but these actually require written official orders and/or policies & procedures applicable to the general public at large.

When I started surfing in Santa Cruz in the 70s, there was absolutely no one around to assist, save our asses or otherwise help in anyway, shape or form. We were well & truly "on our own". I think a sense of responsibility for others can sometimes be construed as engaging and/or interfering with someone else's private business.

If this 'tard wants to kill himself - and indeed he matches every characteristic of that Darwinian fate - then it's his business, not ours. That is, so long as he doesn't take anyone else along with him.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

What is the death rate for PCT or any other long distance hikers? Seems to me that they may be young and reckless but still alive
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

zacjust32 wrote:What is the death rate for PCT or any other long distance hikers? Seems to me that they may be young and reckless but still alive
How would one know? Not like they report when they're dead.
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

Of all the fatalities in the Sierra I don't remember any being thru-Hikers
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

zacjust32 wrote:Of all the fatalities in the Sierra I don't remember any being thru-Hikers
Do the research and get back to us. Not even sure where to start unless they register somewhere for permits (probably not), or where they post and then suddenly stop and you can't find them.
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

I would just look at the news reports on all fatalities in the Sierra. They would mention if the hiker was a PCTer. Even if they don't, its a much smaller list than all who attempt the hike
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I've been reading a ton of harrowing near death stories from the PCT this season but so far have not read about one confirmed death. I'm extremely dubious that noone has died yet. I think that many deaths do not go reported, especially if they are young people from out of the area. I remember seeing a facebook friend post about finding a corpse on top of Shepherd's pass a few years ago in the early season, and that story never ended up being reported in the news. It woke me up to the idea that many people are dying up in the high country but it's most often not reported to the public.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

There won't be a statistic for those who died alone and no one knows. Hundreds of people could be walking past what was left of someone and never even know it... No call, no search, no statistic. It seems to me that thrus are more likely to vanish and never be found, since by the time someone did get round to calling, there's so little information that it could not be justified to do more than run a team down that section of trail - if that. You need enough information to actually put a team on the ground with a high enough probability of finding the person. Folks like that get found by passers-by, years later, like the poor fellow whose bones finally were recovered when a hunter found shreds of his track pants and his watch.

News reports don't cover every single search. I don't know what puts an article in the paper or not, but I do know that there were many more searches than there were articles, when I was in SAR, and the articles weren't always accurate...
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

The pct'er we have been speaking about are those who nearly died, yet were brave enough to tell their story. It has been wildly beneficial to those hikers who were on the fence until hearing about the reports. The deciding factor to bounce instead of head forward blindly. One report mentioned that in Bishop, it was the main discussion. Many PCT'ers are not even in the Sierra yet given the staggered start dates this season. They are hearing about the hazards well in time to make informed decisions. Even if it's shared with bravado and dudity, it sends a message. Of course, the shredder is only one of many. The women are being much more honest about what the hell is in store.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.