TR: Rush Creek; Olancha Pass - Kennedy MDW; Rae Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rubidium87
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

TR: Rush Creek; Olancha Pass - Kennedy MDW; Rae Lakes

Post by rubidium87 »

I just came back from a week in and out of the Sierras. Our original itinerary had us hiking out of Rush Creek and heading towards Donohue Pass and Yosemite and back through some pass. This was an itinerary that we knew from the beginning was optimistic given the snow and planned dates (starting 6/11), but we didn't really have a choice with regard to the dates.

Anyway, the ranger at Silver Lakes told us the snow line was at ~7700 feet and there was an impassable stream about a mile or two into the trail. We set out and pretty much were able to confirm. That first stream was certainly passable, but we just didn't think it was really worth going on given the uncertainty about the trails that lay ahead and the skill/experience of the group. We did not bring snow equipment and didn't want to deal with snow.

We drove down towards Mammoth Lakes in a hail storm. The rangers at Mammoth said there were no real options there. I think it's worth noting that the postholer snow cover map was NOT accurate for this region. This map showed that from Mammoth Lakes to a point about 12 miles north, one could expect no snow cover. However, depending on when I checked, this region would be entirely snow free or entirely covered. I'm guessing there was some software bug? In any case, the area is almost for sure covered in snow given what the rangers said, though I can not attest from personal experience.

We headed south and the Lone Pine ranger station informed us that there were reports that from Kennedy Meadows north about 25 miles the trail was snow free. We set out for Olancha Pass and hiked the PCT from Olancha Pass to Kennedy Meadows. I can confirm that the pass and the PCT along this stretch is completely snow-free and easily passable. The latter half is pretty exposed though since a lot of the forest has been burned out.

We drove around and stayed at Cedar Grove. From there we did a day hike out of Road's End along the Woods Creek trail. Just past the Upper Paradise Valley campsite, the bridge is completely washed away. The stream crossings also overflowed in many places and overwhelmed many sections of trail. That said, these crossings were all passable and the worst danger is just getting wet. One section was overrun with snow.

Sorry about the lack of pictures, but hope this helps anyone planning for trips in the Sierras.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Rush Creek; Olancha Pass - Kennedy MDW; Rae Lakes

Post by rlown »

Lack of pics are ok. This is not the time to be out there right now, as you found on your day hike.

Welcome to the HST! Reports are great regardless.. You said "passable." did you?