2017 Summer Hike with RoguePhotonic

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2017 Summer Hike with RoguePhotonic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

So this years trip certainly was ever evolving. First after cutting out those other 2 weeks I decided to cut all but the first section due to other changes in my life where I thought losing 3 more weeks of pay was a really stupid thing to do. Then Mikhail had his girlfriend get sick and he canceled on the first section.

I did a day hike of Panther Peak on Monday and then began in over Silliman Pass Tuesday. The whole time I was out there including the day hike I did I just felt disconnected. I didn't have the feeling like I always did of being back home in the mountains. I felt like I was just going through the motions. On day 2 I had forded Ferguson Creek and was eating lunch and I decided to just turn around and go back. I decided that this life of wandering the mountains alone for weeks was not something I wanted anymore. After 800 days spent in the mountains in the last 9 years mostly alone I decided I had had enough.

It's been a crazy journey doing long trips 8 years in a row but my time with that has come to a close. I'm sure i'll do week or two trips with friends or if I am really feeling the urge a solo one but for now I will focus on building my life at home and focus on family.

I set out on those trips because I had nothing in life. It was an escape from everything I hated. It brought me a temporary peace but never a solution. I even had picked a location in the backcountry where I planned to go and kill myself. But I'm glad all that is behind me now. I have something to live for and more to look forward to.

Time to draw lines on my maps of life. :p
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hey Rogue (and Mikhail),
If it's any consolation, there were folks (like, me) with far less "freedom" who got to live vicariously through your perambulations through the Sierra. And, even though I seldom log more than 3 weeks up there every summer, I've been at it since 1972, so I've covered a good chunk of ground south of Yosemite and it was pretty easy to visualize the areas you were covering and writing about. In the end, it may be that those experiences prepared you for what has become your focus now, so good luck in the next phase. And, speaking of next phases: having come out to CA for grad school, I think you (Mikhail) won't regret doing it, once it becomes realistic. Meanwhile, enjoy the monster snow you'll be slogging through this year and bring plenty of DEET and sunscreen! Cameron
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Predict you 2 will have your deepest ever tan this decade. :cool:
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Well the time has finally come... second time around. After some major health complications with my girlfriend I was not able to make it out on the 1st section like Rogue mentioned. But alas I'm on my way to the Taboose Pass Trailhead from Mammoth right now. 2nd section begins tomorrow with a long hike hopefully up to the top of the pass. Updates when I get out.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

Rogue.
i will miss reading your epics, mostly read with Tom Harrisons on the table tracing your lines, but i'm stoked to hear of your newfound happiness out of the mountains! thats really great. happy for you
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well if I can ever get back to writing them you can read them for some time. :D
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Well Rogue, it sure looks like you've had a hell of a run through the Sierras, but I wonder if you just need a period away, to delve into other wonderful parts of life? Best wishes on your journey through life with a new partner and some children.

Keeping this post to mountain traveling though, I have one suggestion: explore other ranges! For one, it might reinvigorate the mountaineer in you- it's so great to find that your Sierra skills will work in many other ranges. I love to explore a new mountain range, and I expect you would too. Secondly, it will make you appreciate the amazingly benign weather we have in the Sierra. A climber and winter skiing acquaintance who comes from Washington, told me that about every other climbing trip in the North Cascades, and coastal AK. involves getting absolutely hammered by the weather, and that if you do get to a summit, enjoying the view is a rare thing! This same guy said to me about his new home range the Sierra: "It's almost too easy! Every trip- blue skies and fine weather." That allowed him in one of his winter tours to ski the whole JMT solo, and without any real difficulty.
So, Rogue, after your hiatus, you might try another range or two, and when you return to the Sierra, you will really appreciate that you can often sleep right out on a high pass with your new family- usually without a tent, and stare at the views and stars.

I for one, cannot imagine a life without the mountains, and when I can no longer hobble into them, you'll find me crawling from the road out into Toulumne Meadows to gaze up at Cathedral Range. I hope I meet you out there too Rogue:
".... feeling like [you] always did of being back home in the mountains."
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Rogue, groom those kids to hike with you. Start small, be patient and positive, and you will be surprised how they take to it. With my husband and our four kids, I never mourned giving up my own, lonely, so-called "freedom," because I got so very much in return.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah I hope one day to have them hike with me. And even if they don't I'll still go out and do some hiking anyway.

I'm sure some day i'll hike in other ranges but it's certainly more involved to drive for 2 days to get to another one!