7 Lakes - Big Pine North Fork - Info?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bob12345
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

7 Lakes - Big Pine North Fork - Info?

Post by Bob12345 »

Great forum, just found this and am enjoying all the great information.

My girlfriend and I are planning a 4-5 day backpack through the 7 lakes and palisade glacier area in early July but I'm hearing and reading here about the risk of stream crossings, flooded meadows, and mosquitoes. We are experienced hikers but relatively new to Sierra backpacking and are not familiar with this trail other than having and understanding topo maps and reading some old trail descriptions.

My question is - has anyone been out this way recently and when there is concern over stream crossings I'm wondering if they are even passable or not? How high might they be? How many? I understand morning crossings are likely to be lower/safer than later in the day but just trying to understand if the trail is even doable or should we be making other plans?

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone might have.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 7 Lakes - Big Pine North Fork - Info?

Post by AlmostThere »

Right now the additional concern will be roads. There are road closures all over the east side of the Sierra due to the flooding that's going on, thanks to the heat wave and snowmelt.

I would be siding on the safety of waiting and going in August or September - because yes, the streams are raging, and many of those that would normally be no issue are absolutely dangerous.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 7 Lakes - Big Pine North Fork - Info?

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org