Car Camping Recommendations

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
brandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Car Camping Recommendations

Post by brandy »

Pushing backpacking plans to later in the year, I'm looking for some car camping recommendations for next week. I'm driving from Orange County and I usually hit the Eastern Sierra and I do not have a ton of experience on the west side of the Sierra. What are your favorite places with access to great day hikes?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Car Camping Recommendations

Post by AlmostThere »

I can't in good conscience say Yosemite, because the traffic there has been hideous. Far too crowded. You might check out the Great Western Divide out of Porterville -- the Camp Nelson area has campgrounds in the sequoias and some nice sequoia hikes to offer. Sequoia - Kings Canyon trails have a lot of waterways to cross and the melt will be crazy big for a few weeks, they have just reported another fatality due to drowning, so while I recommend it generally I have to say being willing to turn around for high waterways is important no matter where you go... but Mineral King would be great camping/day hiking. If by next week you mean including the holiday weekend -- i hope you are going up Tuesday - Wednesday, because all the campgrounds will be PACKED OUT by Saturday, potentially by Friday....
brandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by brandy »

As much as I love Yosemite, every time I am in the valley I remember why I never stay there. I can't handle the crowds. I do love Mineral King, I have only stayed at Atwell once right before a backpacking trip. If we head up on Sunday the 26th I wonder if we would have trouble with grabbing a spot at Cold Springs. I was also tossing around the idea of the campgrounds in Cedar Grove but I have always been scared to drive that far and not get a spot.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You could always call the ranger station and ask what kinds of crowds they are getting. I know people have been going up there, but have not been myself yet.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sunday might be perfect timing to go up and snag something at Mineral King. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

You will have more and better scenic choices from the east side because west side approaches still have more snow issues. Thus check out the INF Recreation Conditions Report page:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/inyo/recreation

And Whitney RD:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/rec ... rdb5192379

Would be a great time to disperse car camp in the Alabama Hills and during day drive up to the Onion Valley. Would expect hiking to the lower lakes like Gilman are now snow free with great views of impressive University Peak.

Also White Mountain RD:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/inyo ... width=full

The road into the White Mountains is now open all the way to the Patriarch Grove. With current conditions, you could camp at the Grandview Campground and from the scenic viewpoint have some terrific dawn/sunrise/morning views across the Owens Valley towards the full length of the snowy peaks of the Southern Sierra. Hiking the bristlecone zone trails ought still show some patches of snow and even some stream flows. It is just a short few weeks after snow melts that one finds lots of belly flowers all over those areas.

In fact with 10 days till my next queued up activity, am seriously thinking of driving over now open Sonora Pass and spending a few days about the Owens. Just need a few days to recover from my Styx Pass trip. If so will most definitely spend at least a day up in the bristlecones.

David
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

@brandy -- If you're into dispersed camping (i.e. no amenities, and no crowds) check out the Forest Service roads off Highway 198 between Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Park. Road 13S09 (starting at Quail Flat) and Road 14S11 (going to Big Meadow) both have tons of great spots to pull over and car-camp. Plus you can day-hike up Buck Rock, day-hike into Jennie Lakes Wilderness, and/or go swimming in Hume Lake. All these area, except the higher parts of Jennie Lakes Wilderness, should be snow-free now.
Ballpeen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ballpeen »

Heads up on Cedar Grove. We went there over Memorial Day weekend and all spots were taken on Fri night. That hasn't been the case for me in years past, but this year two large campgrounds with hundreds of sites (Moraine and another near the park entrance) were still closed. If heading to Cedar Grove, check that those campgrounds are now open - they'll make a difference on site availability. We ended up disperse camping as the Flamingo mentions above. I liked not having camping neighbors and lack of facilities was easy to overcome.
brandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by brandy »

Thank you all for the recommendations. I was able to grab a spot Friday-Sunday in Grant Grove and with the holiday coming up I feel much better about having that booked. Even if it's with hoards of people. ;) My daughter may take the train up to meet me so I wanted to have something I could count on. As much as I loathe the valley crowds, I wanted to get in some day hiking in Yosemite and I snagged a spot there for Tuesday night. I'm sure I will be able to find somewhere in between the parks to rest my head on Wednesday and Thursday nights with all of your great recommendations. Thank you again!
brandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by brandy »

I have to say that it feels strange to switch gears from backpacking to car camping, but I am excited to plan some great day hikes!