1000 island loop snow tips and tricks

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 1000 island loop snow tips and tricks

Post by AlmostThere »

Stream crossings are really going to be the limiting factor for a while. With the current heat wave, normally tiny streams are going to be much bigger than usual. It's rerouted my own plans a number of times.

Golden Trout Wilderness is snow free for the most part, with the caveat of being careful of stream crossings. Some of the roads to trailheads may have washouts. Best to call the rangers.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

Not sure where you're coming from but with the wet winter Domelands Wilderness is in fine form for this time of year.. I've seen a few recent mentions of some pretty good fishing in the little streams that meander through the meadows.. Nothing terribly huge, but lots of action..
nstd
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by nstd »

AlmostThere wrote:Stream crossings are really going to be the limiting factor for a while. With the current heat wave, normally tiny streams are going to be much bigger than usual. It's rerouted my own plans a number of times.

Golden Trout Wilderness is snow free for the most part, with the caveat of being careful of stream crossings. Some of the roads to trailheads may have washouts. Best to call the rangers.
what are some good trails at golden trout

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Look here: https://goldentroutwilderness.wordpress.com/

You can also go over Farewell Gap into the Golden Trout, at the headwaters of the Little Kern. Routefinding can become an issue due to degraded trails that have seen no real work in years. But it's a gorgeous area.