1000 island loop snow tips and tricks

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
nstd
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

1000 island loop snow tips and tricks

Post by nstd »

hiking this loop in a week. any tips and how to best prepare for the snow?

should I rule out fishing?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 1000 island loop snow tips and tricks

Post by AlmostThere »

Projected road opening is 7/15. Are you really hiking this loop or are you postholing out as far as you can get?

Do you enjoy fishing in whitewater and ice bound lakes?

But seriously, I think you need to rethink this one.
nstd
Topix Novice

Post by nstd »

i dont know whats postholing is but we are going to give it a try. ranger said well have to park on the side of the road and hike in.

Last edited by nstd on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Road is not open, how do plan on accessing the trailhead?

Minaret Vista Entrance 6/9
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
nstd
Topix Novice

Post by nstd »

maverick wrote:Road is not open, how do plan on accessing the trailhead?

Minaret Vista Entrance 6/9
ranger said well have to park on the side of the road near the lodge and hike in.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

i dont know whats postholing is but we are going to give it a try. ranger said well have to park on the side of the road and hike out.
You are joking, right? You have no experience to do such a trip, your putting yourselves and the SAR personnel who will be coming to search for you at danger.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Well...here's a photo I took four days ago over Yosemite. Those two long lozenge shaped depressions on the east side (very right-hand edge of the photo) are TIL and Garnet Lake. And I don't think you'll be doing much fishing in those...

As for fishing the streams....the fish are just as impressed with the amount of water and current as we are. They are hanging in areas where the current is slower---along the very bottom of the river, or occasionally in small backwaters along the edges. Fish close to the shore, fish slowly and carefully, and don't bother trying to get to the bottom. You can't reach it without a 16lb anchor. But if you do follow those tactics you might catch some...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

So you want to hike in 6+ feet of snow. Obviously you aren't understanding that this is going to be really, really hard to do, and that you're not getting to Island Lake in the time that you have allotted for the adventure.

You don't understand that the melt is going full tilt and that waterways are extremely dangerous right now, and that it's going to be really soft snow in the afternoons. Falling through melting snow into ice water repeatedly is exhausting. Postholing up to your thighs is exhausting. Getting wet and staying that way, that will potentially lead to hypothermia which does nothing for your health -- it's dangerous.

Don't think of this as a challenge -- given that you are asking for "tips and tricks" tells me you are unaware of how dangerous this is, and you need to do something else for your vacation.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Do you know how to travel from point A to point B without a trail, because there will be no trails in most sections of this trip, especially if you attempted to go in before the road opened.

We are not trying to get on you case, but to open your eyes to the reality, that this kind of travel, especially in these kind of conditions, require experience, not only with gear, but with survival skills if things go bad.

nstd
Topix Novice

Post by nstd »

have you guys been up there recently? I talked to two rangers they said I won't need snow shoes but micro spikes will help, which I am going to bring.

I'm not arguing with you. nor am I saying I am going no matter what. I'm taking in info right now to make a informed decision. which you have provided so thank you.

please do tell me if the rangers are wrong.