Minaret > Cecile > Iceberg Lakes Mid-August 2017...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
knick11
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Minaret > Cecile > Iceberg Lakes Mid-August 2017...

Post by knick11 »

Hello, I have a trip via Mono/Parker Pass trailhead down to Devil's Postpile and back up over Donohue Pass into Tuolumne Meadows planned for mid August this year, approximately 70 miles, if all goes well. We plan to take the Minaret > Cecile > Iceberg clockwise detour along our way. But upon further research and with the apparently abundant snowpack in the Sierras this year, I am now curious if anyone has any experience with the Minaret to Cecile to Iceberg route in similar conditions (or the opposite direction). I do not have any formal training in these conditions, but I do have numerous cross-country and mountaineering experiences as well as a number of snow hiking/wayfinding experiences, both hard pack and postholing. In June 2016, I was required to glissade down from Red Peak Pass due to the extensive snowcover, and in August 2011, I descended the same route while navigating 2-3 ft suncups. I'm asking mostly because this route option is simply a scenic detour for us, and we can easily avoid it if it's too dangerous to ascend/descend to and from Cecile Lake. But I'm also asking, so I know what to expect and what to tell the rest of my group, who have less experience than I do in those types of conditions. This way we can make a educated decision when it comes time. I am aware of the possible dangers involved... But some questions I'm wondering are:

Given the possible conditions in Mid-August...

Is it safer/easier to go clockwise or counter-clockwise in this section?
If it's too dangerous and we scrap the idea altogether, would doing an out-and-back to Minaret Lake from the southeast or doing an out-and-back to Iceberg Lake from the north be more rewarding?

Thank you!! :D
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Minaret > Cecile > Iceberg Lakes Mid-August 2017...

Post by maverick »

Hi Knick11,

Welcome to HST!
Is it safer/easier to go clockwise or counter-clockwise in this section?
Counter-clockwise, the climb up to Cecile from Iceberg is easier for most than the descent to Iceberg. The dangerous section is the eastern side of Iceberg Lake, if there is a lot of snow present, the angle and the run-out (into the lake) is what make it dangerous, if a one attempts to cross this snowfield in the morning, icy conditions, then crampons and ice axe will be required, and knowing how to use them properly is just as important to avoid injury/death.
If it's too dangerous and we scrap the idea altogether, would doing an out-and-back to Minaret Lake from the southeast or doing an out-and-back to Iceberg Lake from the north be more rewarding?
Iceberg and Minaret Lakes are both pretty, but my choice would be Iceberg, because Ediza is the can't miss lake in the region.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Iceberg August 8, 2011, a similar (but less severe) snow year. http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... rg#p118531

edit: here's more info on what the trail was like in 2011 http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... ail#p48777
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
knick11
Topix Acquainted

Post by knick11 »

maiathebee wrote:Iceberg August 8, 2011, a similar (but less severe) snow year. http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... rg#p118531

edit: here's more info on what the trail was like in 2011 http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... ail#p48777
Good to know.. I think we are going to do the route regardless, but judging by the info provided so far, I think it's better and safer to do it counter clockwise vs. clockwise. This ultimately changes our trip into a figure-8, criss-crossing at or around Thousand Island Lake while still starting and ending at the planned trailheads.. I guess I'll keep an eye out as it gets closer.. Mammoth's summit cam shows how much snow there still is in that region.. It's going to be socked in for awhile, if not the entire summer...

Thanks!
knick11
Topix Acquainted

Post by knick11 »

maverick wrote:Counter-clockwise, the climb up to Cecile from Iceberg is easier for most than the descent to Iceberg. The dangerous section is the eastern side of Iceberg Lake, if there is a lot of snow present, the angle and the run-out (into the lake) is what make it dangerous, if a one attempts to cross this snowfield in the morning, icy conditions, then crampons and ice axe will be required, and knowing how to use them properly is just as important to avoid injury/death.
Right, as expected. We will probably just do it counter-clockwise, which makes our route a figure-8, but we'll play it by ear. We also tend to do about 5am-12noon hiking most days, so for this day, we will probably sleep in a little...
maverick wrote:Iceberg and Minaret Lakes are both pretty, but my choice would be Iceberg, because Ediza is the can't miss lake in the region.
Good to know, thanks! I've been trying to find photos of the views at the different lakes, and they all look amazing. We were probably going to camp at Minaret if we went clockwise, but we'll likely camp at Iceberg or Ediza is we go the other way...

Thank you!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is Ediza, but I cannot guarantee it will look like this, it took me going back there over a decade to capture that scene. :)
http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 86#p115312

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
knick11
Topix Acquainted

Post by knick11 »

I found a great source for current conditions in the Sierras... Ed Cesnalis posts daily photos on his Facebook page of the conditions up there for anyone who is interested... Here are Iceberg and Cecile as of June 24:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

And Minaret Lake as of June 24:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Looks like midwinter, and it's nearly July... :D
amghaderi
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by amghaderi »

I was at iceberg lake this Sunday (August 3). The snow was quite hard even around noon, and in my opinion an ice axe and "real" crampons would be necessary for a safe ascent. I had an ice axe but just microspikes, and made it about halfway up the slope by cutting steps. The snow was hard enough that kicking steps was not very effective for large portions of the snow slope. I ended up turning around since I didn't feel comfortable with just the microspikes, and wasn't sure how snow conditions would be on the descent from Cecile to Minaret, or whether or not I'd be able to start descending before the afternoon thunderstorm that was due. I might try again next weekend and bring the crampons this time.

FYI, even if you just go from Ediza to Iceberg, the trail is almost completely covered in snow until you get to the flat bit just before Iceberg lake. It is just ~15-25 degrees and suncupped nicely to form steps, but microspikes may make things easier as the snow was pretty firm and icy in spots.

Oh also, the bridge that crosses the creek to continue the trail on Ediza's east shore is destroyed, so you either have to cross the creek, wade across Ediza at the outlet, or go around the north shore. Either water crossing is at least knee deep.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Amghaderi,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for chiming in with the conditions. :thumbsup:

knick11
Topix Acquainted

Post by knick11 »

amghaderi wrote:I was at iceberg lake this Sunday (August 3). The snow was quite hard even around noon...
I know that it rained most of last week, which probably helped to consolidate the snowpack even further, especially the surface, so this makes sense.. Thanks for that info!
amghaderi wrote:FYI, even if you just go from Ediza to Iceberg, the trail is almost completely covered in snow until you get to the flat bit just before Iceberg lake. It is just ~15-25 degrees and suncupped nicely to form steps, but microspikes may make things easier as the snow was pretty firm and icy in spots....
I'm not too worried about walking on snow in general. My wayfinding skills are pretty adept, I've hiked on snow before, I have a map, and I have a pretty powerful GPS. It's more the stretch between Iceberg and Cecile that I'm concerned about. I have read recent reports of getting through Minaret to Iceberg without ice/snow equipment, with the exception of Iceberg to Cecile, and I have also seen photos, so I'm starting to get a gage on what to expect. I will also speak with the rangers this weekend.

amghaderi wrote:Oh also, the bridge that crosses the creek to continue the trail on Ediza's east shore is destroyed, so you either have to cross the creek, wade across Ediza at the outlet, or go around the north shore. Either water crossing is at least knee deep.
Good to know! Not afraid of getting wet, so this shouldn't be an issue.. Thank you :)

Kevin