Rae Lakes Loop - Campground and Snow hike questions.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sha256
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Rae Lakes Loop - Campground and Snow hike questions.

Post by sha256 »

Hello - I obtained the permit for Rae Lakes Loop Clockwise Jun 27 - Jul 4. Questions if you can answer please:
Campground/spot recommendations for 4 nights?
How is the snow by the end of this month? Do I need Crampons, Snow axe, etc?
Also I hope the streams are crossable with the bridge broken.
I got the permit after a long wait and booked flights, hence dont want to quit. I have done couple of 4 day backpacking before. This will be my first five day and in snow.
Thanks!
chulavista
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Rae Lakes Loop - Campground and Snow hike questions.

Post by chulavista »

You might want to get a different permit. Last weekend I met people who went up Woods Creek and had to turn around at the bridge. Maybe someone could post pics.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

The bridge that is broken is over the RIVER.

When you say you don't want to quit it translates to me that "I am willing to die for this." If that's what you're saying go ahead... If you enjoy life you'll want a different permit for a different route, or you'll go up from Bubbs Creek and come back the same way.

Paradise is flooded. Meadows will be flooded. Mosquitoes are rising to feast on the unprepared.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Read this first:
http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/spt-col ... 74574.html

You can see a TON OF BEAUTY just day hiking and camping in the front country, trust me....
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Sha,
My inference is that you have some time constraints on this trip, so to avoid the kind of possibility for a bad outcome that Almost There pointed to, I'd recommend studying the topo maps and figure out another route. From my experience in that area, you could aim to get up into Rae Lakes basin and backtrack out the same way. However, this means going over Glen Pass twice, and typically Glen can be ornery this time of year. If you're not comfortable on snow, with our without ice axe/crampons, don't do it. What I'd recommend is heading south on the John Muir trail (toward Forester pass) and either head up into the basin below Forester, or branch off and visit Center basin. Yes, you'll have to re-trace your footsteps back down Bubbs Creek, but the trail is good, and you'll have plenty of opportunities to camp near thundering water throughout your visit. Rae Lakes will still be there next year & the year after, so better to wait till conditions are a bit less nutty.
Good luck,
Cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sha,

Welcome to HST!
Would recommend doing this another time, Glen requires some technical experience with snow present, especially this year, and with the bridge being out, it adds in a dangerous creek crossing, there have already been 3 water related deaths in SEKI. :(
The HST to Hamilton Lake would be safer and offers good views too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sha256
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by sha256 »

Thanks everyone for your valuable input and looking out. You have an amazing community here. I am taking the advice and cancelling this trip. I will post a separate thread asking for alternatives for which I can possibly get a permit around the same time (in a week).