Advice needed for Labor Day hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Advice needed for Labor Day hike

Post by kpeter »

I've got several backpacking trips planned for myself this year, with my first trip out of Mineral King for one and a different trek over Mono Pass to Pioneer Basin for another. I'd like to take my daughter on a trip, however, and since she recently received a summer internship we are now limited only to Labor Day weekend--so she can't join me on my regular trips. And of course there are not many reservations left for the Labor Day weekend.

She is a college athlete with modest backpacking experience. I'm glad this year the trip will be late to reduce the mosquitoes. We will have only four days. We will pretty much be trails only and nothing super strenuous given the short time involved. Last year I took her on the High Trail to Thousand Island Lake in one day and while she made it, it was too long for one day. She has also been into Sabrina Basin and into western Desolation from Wrights Lake.

I found these trailheads in Inyo that still have availability, but I have been to none of them and am having a hard time knowing if any of them are scenic or doable:

McGee Pass
Laurel Lakes
Horton Lakes
Glacier Canyon / Dana Lake
Beck Lakes

Do any of these look like plausible destinations for us? No fishing, just scenery for us.
MattL
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice needed for Labor Day hike

Post by MattL »

I haven't been to most on your list, but several years ago I did a very scenic loop trip visiting Beck Lakes, also hitting Deadhorse, Minaret, Holcomb, Ashley, Anona and Emily Lakes, probably not in that order. It was relatively easy to set the trip up as an on-trail loop and plan the number of lakes that you visit based on your daily mileage preferences. With each lake only a couple mile detour from the loop trail it would be easy to adjust the trip en route by adding or deleting a lake along the way. My favorite of the trip was Ashley, so don't miss this one. Emily seemed the least visited among the group.I think the area can get crowded, so if I were going Labor Day I may avoid Minaret Lake and plan my campsites at farther away places.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

McGee Pass: This and Horton Lakes are my top picks, this would have been hands down, but after labor day it puts you before the great Fall colors that light up that famous canyon and after the outstanding Arnica blossom show, and many other wildflowers too. The volcanic rock colors near the top of the pass makes for fabulous photo's.

Laurel Lakes: If these are the ones near Mammoth, it has a rough 4x4 road to it, nuff said.

Horton Lakes: Lower Lake is a sub-alpine lake, pretty, but the Upper Lake is a very pretty alpine lake just below 11000 ft, solitude galore.

Glacier Canyon / Dana Lake: Pretty lake with outstanding reflections, and really cool coral looking rocks, colors in the area remind me of the McGee Pass/Red Slate Mtn area, but it is more of a day hike from Tioga Lake.

Beck Lakes: Pretty Lakes, but as MattL mention Ashley is the highlight in that area, but it would be better to visit earlier in the season, there is a pretty falls/cascade at the far end of the lake, also the wildflowers on the northern end, near the outlet, can be quite pretty.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Thanks! McGee Pass it is for Labor Day, and I will put the Ashley/Beck/Minaret circuit on the agenda for an earlier season trip.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

My daughter and I will head for Big McGee Lake over this coming long weekend. Any favorite haunts/sights/camps we should be sure to catch as we explore that basin? Is Steelhead Lake a must-see or should we bypass it and spend all our time in the upper basin? Any fords of McGee Creek that would be significant? Oh...and what is the trailhead like? Advice would be welcome!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

In my opinion the most scenic part of the canyon is not at Big McGee Lake but rather down canyon about the big meadow at 10250. The northeast lake shore of Big McGee Lake is in fact rather beat up and ugly. Views of Red And White Mountain are much better than up at the lake as are views further up towards the lake in the pretty meadows and stream areas.

An excellent morning day hike from the meadow is north up the gentle slope to rib at 10400 where one gets an excellent view up the Scheelor Mine canyon that is all manner of weirdly banded Paleozoic rock like one sees about Convict Creek.

Also good morning views if one crosses McGee Creek below Big McGee Lake outlet then climb up south at 10950 towards Crocker Lake.

have a nice trip!
David
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

SSSdave wrote:In my opinion the most scenic part of the canyon is not at Big McGee Lake but rather down canyon about the big meadow at 10250. The northeast lake shore of Big McGee Lake is in fact rather beat up and ugly. Views of Red And White Mountain are much better than up at the lake as are views further up towards the lake in the pretty meadows and stream areas.

An excellent morning day hike from the meadow is north up the gentle slope to rib at 10400 where one gets an excellent view up the Scheelor Mine canyon that is all manner of weirdly banded Paleozoic rock like one sees about Convict Creek.

Also good morning views if one crosses McGee Creek below Big McGee Lake outlet then climb up south at 10950 towards Crocker Lake.

have a nice trip!
David
Thank you David! Just the kind of advice that will help enhance the trip. I appreciate it!