Tehepite valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Tehepite valley

Post by The hermit »

Thanks almost there. Without looking at my maps I assume the hike via hemlock crossing starts at glacier point or mono meadows, correct. Red peak pass area is also one I'd like to explore
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Ansel Adams, Clover meadow. though there is a route across Isberg Pass through Ansel Adams - it's about 33-35 miles from the Mammoth trailhead up the road from Clover Meadow, you could add days/miles starting at Glacier Point, true. Definitely going to be an untraveled route as there are still snowdrifts on the forest service roads to Clover.
fourputt
Topix Acquainted

Post by fourputt »

Doable from Wishon but:

(1) Lots of route-finding challenges on sections where trail's are still buried.

(2) Crown Creek will be the terminus in the Valley. There's no bridge and it's a major crossing.

You can visit Little Tehipite, but must miss the prettiest part of the Middle Fork Trail between Crown and Blue Canyon Falls.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

The hermit wrote:Well...at least I started a good discussion. Seems like a late season destination even in a dry year. Someday I'd like to do a trans Sierra hike through there. Maybe next year
I've done a trans-Sierra hike through Tehipite (as has fourputt, in the opposite direction), South Lake to Rancheria, and I highly recommend it...in a low-snowpack year, and maybe after they do some trail maintenance. But really, really spectacular--you get an amazing cross-section of the most rugged part of the Sierra.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

AlmostThere wrote:A good option for a trans Sierra would be over to Mammoth via Hemlock Crossing - beautiful and plenty of water, and more established trail.
Seems like Iron Creek might be a difficult/dangerous crossing this year. But that's secondhand, based on someone's account of that area in another big snow year (1998).
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

All creeks are difficult right now. I'd also think that some of the bridges have a chance of being out as so many of them have been.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Since a few people have been out already [pct] I just wondered if anyone had been near there. I'm not an early season type of guy. Sept is prime time for me, even October. Definitely wouldn't attempt a remote place like this that late in the year. I don't even like going off trail (much) in October. Safety first
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

gchikes wrote:I am headed that way Sunday out of Rancheria TH, if accessible, Crown TH, if not. Hoping to make it all the way in to the valley the first day, fishing and exploring the 2nd day and two days to hike back out. I will post at least a short trip report afterwards as to trail conditions, navigational difficulties and, of course, the fishing conditions.
Did you attempt it?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
gchikes
Topix Novice

Post by gchikes »

I did make it out there. I hiked out to the top of the switchbacks at the edge of the valley Sunday, hiked down to the valley floor Monday and hiked all the way back out on Tuesday.
As for the trail conditions, I would have to describe them as "not the best"! The Rancheria/Crown Valley trail was snow covered from the Rancheria Creek crossing to about the John Muir Wilderness boundary. From there to Crown Valley it was mostly running water, standing water or mud. Navigation was difficult at best on the snow covered sections as the weather was socked in with snow/sleet showers for the first half of the day. The trail from Crown Valley to the rim has a lot of deadfall in the burn areas and a lot of branches, cones and assorted forest litter in the other areas. All in all, it resembles a trail that hasn't been maintained in a LONG time! The trail down the switchbacks from the rim has a lot of brush obstructing your views of the trail, but the trail is still there all the way down. And, actually, a person with a set of pruning clippers and a handsaw, could do a majority of the trail clearing on the switchbacks. I did get off trail 3 or 4 times on the way down, but it was easy to relocate the trail with the GPS. Not necessarily easy to get back to, but easy to relocate! On the trip back up I was able to follow the entire trail from bottom to top. It is pretty steep most of the way up, but it is followable.
As for the valley itself, it is a level area along the Kings River with numerous good camping spots. The view of Tehipiti Dome from the valley floor is pretty awesome. Unfortunately, that was all I was able to see. Crown Creek was way too high/fast to even attempt to cross. So I was not able to see Silver Spray Falls, Painted Rock and, worst of all, no fishing!
I don't know if I will make this trip again, but, if I do, it will definitely be a late season trip when water flows and the temperatures have both gone down. If anyone needs more detailed info on the hike, feel free to PM me and I will try and answer your questions.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I was going to mention that fishing would probably be blown out, but didn't want to rain on your parade. I did this trip in 2012. Yeah, from Crown Creek to the rim is just tedious climbing over deadfall. I thought the initial drop down the trail from the rim was pretty cool. The trail completely obscured by chest high, soft overgrowth, but when you part them, the trail is clearly visible below. Once you hit oak forest, it's just a slippery trail buried to the shin with oak leaves and often obscured. One person on the board described it as a whole lot of hell for a little bit of heaven.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.