Bear Creek - Impassable?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Bear Creek - Impassable?

Post by Hobbes »

As I was cruising through the IG feed with the PCT filter, I saw this smaller image on the results page. My first thought was that it looked like the Tuolumne or Merced river - sometimes people tag related areas in the Sierra with the pct hashtag. Of course, I sort of knew what I was about to view, but was a bit in semi-denial. Sure enough, as soon as I recognized the poster as one of the advance guard who was already past Muir, I recognized what it was (the photo isn't labeled) before I read the description:

This PCT hiker is pretty funny - he's the 'bold' as in: "There are old hikers and there are bold hikers, but it's rare to find both old & bold hikers". (Apologies to pilots, motorcycle riders & climbers.)

They told me Bear Creek was impassable. I needed to see for myself. Obviously, I crossed that ****. Chest deep, ice cold, and most definitely passable. Impassable is a mind state. I'll be out of the woods in about 3 days. No one is out here. I need a shower, and a hug. SHRED THE GNAR!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVBV5VJhzW9 ... obbyblaine

I think I'm still going to hike from Piute to Mammoth in 12 days. One, because it's a short hike, I can take the time to hike up Bear a ways; two, I can plan my day to cross at dawn, instead of what looks to be the afternoon (see shadows). Worst case scenario, Bear is 30 miles from Piute - exactly 1/2 way - I'll have enough food/energy to simply turn around and hike back to the N Lake TH.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bear Creek - Impassable?

Post by AlmostThere »

"Impassable is a mind state."

Fortune favors the idiots often enough... dude needs to get a lotto ticket.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I suspect that almost every old(er) dude & dudette who has led an active life has done something stupid - perhaps more than once - when they were younger. The difference between us and those who weren't so lucky is that we're still here to contemplate, discuss & advise.

Darwin is a cruel task master, and nature can be a vengeful ****. If you survive (and learn from) some initial encounters, you can either begin to walk the strait & narrow, or become another statistic.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Oh, I'm right there... have done dubious things before and lived to tell about it. Like the time I hiked ten miles while edging into seriously dehydrated. I was beyond stupid, actually sobbing here and there and stumbling, and people were hiking past me both directions doing nothing. I chose a popular trail because I figured if I got in trouble someone would help, and no one did. That too is another decision that can cost you. It turned the light on in my head (later, after recovering and realizing what it was) and I never fail to at least ask people if they need help now. I stumbled all the way back to the car, and then proceeded to drive it -- muscle memory and dumb luck are why I'm alive.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Looks possible but not without getting all one's gear soaked that isn't protected by a dry bag. Kayakers do that stuff in big cold waters by necessity so yeah possible. Suspect that person has his sleeping bag and gear that could not get wet in dry bags allowing the float swim method. I've backpacked up Bear Creek several times over decades. The creek spreads into 3 channels a quarter mile down stream but I seem to recall it still has deep spots we declined so just crossed at the trail. A better strategy is probably to cross the South Fork right below Lou Beverly and then East Fork in a wide section instead of the JMT crossing at 9550. That pic shows just way too big horribly cold debilitating water for this person.

In 1995, a big El Nino year, 3 of us were there going up the trail in early August. Bear Creek was high and ice cold and wide at the trail crossing in one main and a second smaller but still tricky overflow channel. There were dozens of groups tented and wandering about on both sides of the creek wanting to cross, scratching their heads, stuck. Of course this was before all the recent decades PCT popularity. Over a couple days supposedly one person had done so ok while another got dunked.

Over the years especially when younger we had done some rather difficult stream crossings in cold water so was familiar with the challenge and are rather notorious for jumping in cold lake or stream water every day to clean off and refresh. All 3 of us crossed mid morning in front of a big crowd, wearing someone's sneakers and using a big stick for 3 point support, but at the far bank where the flow was strongest, I had to lurch to the bank and in the process the bottom of my pack popped against the water. Was a long ways and waist deep in spots with a lot of volume pushing against our bodies that made it difficult to take steps without losing footing because the water force tends to cause one to float up and away as soon as a bracing foot is lifted. The worst thing was that by time I reached the other side, my feet inside the sneakers were horribly painful from the cold water as I fumbled trying to pull them off. Suspect after we crossed, other groups then started to.

We were out for a week and our first destination was straight up the hill off trail to Orchid Lake where we ate not a few golden trout. Days later went up the East Fork.

David
Last edited by SSSdave on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

I can't believe one could actually cross that; crazy and lucky.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

SSSdave wrote:A better strategy is probably to cross the South Fork right below Lou Beverly and then East Fork in a wide section instead of the JMT crossing at 9550.
Exactly. I'm going to see if I can cross the W fork before it merges with the S fork, then contour over to the 9.8 point on the E fork. If the current is still too strong @ 6-7am before the forks merge, then I'm going to turn around and walk back.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Well, I guess that solves my question:

----

UPDATE on EVOLUTION, MONO, and BEAR CREEKS via ‎Cris Chater‎ to fb group Sierra Nevada Current Conditions – Trails, Passes and Peaks

This is Strider from the Mt. Williamson Motel & Baser Camp reporting for John Colver on Tuesday June 6, 2017. John’s thoughts on impassible river detours, snow and whether to hike or not:

In my experience, Evolution Creek was not difficult, but fordable with care and teamwork. The water is deep, but slow moving, due to the topography which creates large bends in a flat meadow.

It seems that North Fork of Mono Creek and Bear Creek will remain impassable until water levels recede.

An alternate route to avoid Bear Creek from Bishop Pass north, or an entrance from the west (Florence Lake or Edison Lake) would be:
1) From Muir Trail Ranch take Florence Lake Trail to Florence Lake Resort – 9 miles (or 4.5 miles once Ferry is operating).
2) Road walk north (or hitch) 13 miles to Thomas Edison Lake.
3) Take Goodale Pass Trail to rejoin JMT/PCT at 10545 elevation 1 mile north of Silver Pass.

---

Who wants to walk through slushy, dirty snow under tree line? Not me, that's for sure. On to Plan B.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I like your decision. :thumbsup:
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

This guy must have survived somehow and made it to Yosemite where he managed to nearly drown.
https://www.facebook.com/marcus.mazzafe ... 3010268845