TR: Domeland Wilderness memorial day weekend

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

TR: Domeland Wilderness memorial day weekend

Post by gary c. »

I’ve been looking forward to this trek into the Domeland Wilderness for weeks but it almost didn’t happen. In actuality like everyplace else the winter effects just keep hanging on. The previous week I had called both the Kernville and Lake Isabella FS offices and despite conflicting opinions they both agreed that the road to the trail head was closed. The Thursday before Memorial Day one of the two said the road was open so we took the chance and went. There was still patches of snow along the road and even next to the large meadow getting to the trail head. There was no snow in our meadow tho and I was kind of disappointed because I was kind of hoping to make Sierra slushies in the warm afternoon.

Our group as we crossed into the wilderness, Charley, Sarah, Marshal. my wife Debbie, grandson David, and Mike.

Our first good view into the meadow coming in from the southern TH.

Most of you know how the fishing can be in these little creeks for Golden hybrids. We all had a blast but the real treat was watching the kids. It was just awesome seeing my grandson David get so excited about something other than YouTube videos for a change. He has a lot to learn and understand about fish handling but he is doing better at least.

Charlie’s daughter Sarah mostly fished with a fly and bubble but she did take my 3wt for a couple spins up and down the creek.

I was surprised at the size of some of the trout. This is my biggest for the weekend but some even a little larger were seen.

A couple camp shots.

I can’t say enough about this woman of mine. Not only does she pack her own gear including a little orange shovel she rolls up both our pads and bags on the days we break camp before coming out of our tent while I make her coffee.

Surprisingly mosquitos were not near the issue as I had worried. I put DEET on at the TH but didn’t feel the need the rest of the weekend. Saw quite a few but they weren’t biting just yet. I have only had two bites show up so far.

A couple more of the meadow and creek.

Starting on our way back home after a wonderful weekend in the Domeland.

The Domeland has much more to it than the two Kern Rivers. Lots of meadows and little creeks with wild trout to be found. We just need to get out there and find them.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Domeland Wilderness memorial day weekend

Post by limpingcrab »

Awesome! One place I still REALLY want to go and haven't been, besides looking in from a few nearby peaks.

Thanks for sharing!
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

Very Nice. That's a Big Meadow......
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
papasequoia
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by papasequoia »

Great to see the kids out there! My two sons are 21 and 22. We brought them camping and hiking and backpacking a lot when they were young. Around the time he was graduating high school the (now) 21 year old informed us that he wasn't going to do "any of that stuff" anymore. Then little by little he started borrowing tents and stoves and stuff to go camping with friends and grudgingly said maybe it wasn't that bad after all. Then he started doing longer hikes. A year or so ago I asked if he was ready for backpacking again. 'No, that was child abuse,' he informed me only half joking. A few months ago he got his own membership at REI and was shopping the big sale. "What for?" I asked. "A backpack," he replied. "What happened to that being child abuse?" "I never said that," was his reply. Again, half jokingly - he knew that he was busted. The moral of the story? Like everyone says, you have to get kids out into the wilderness and expose them to the joys and the beauty of it like you were doing. Even if they reject it in their teens there is an excellent chance that they will eventually put down the phone and be drawn back into it. Good job!
Nature always wins
> miles = < people
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Excellent trip report on an area I've always been intrigued by, but still haven't been to.

Papasequoia, I have a similar story. Kid lost interest in his teens, then in his mid-20s proposed a backpacking trip again. We've done several trips since, most recently with his girlfriend who had never backpacked before (and loved it). Now they have a baby, and plans for a 3-generation trip a few years down the line...
hikerdude87
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by hikerdude87 »

Thanks for the report and great pictures! I've been wanting to explore the Domelands too but have found that there isn't a lot of information about the area. Seems like an area few explore but it would be a great place for an early season trip to the Sierra.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Thanks everyone for your reply's. I really enjoyed your post PapaS. I remember when you used to post about your trips with them and then missed seeing their pictures in you reports. It gives me hope because David likes the camping part so much but he too thinks that the hiking is abuse.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

My favorite kind of fishing :) Looks like a good time was had by all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk