Trip Planning August 19-26

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Planning August 19-26

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP:
In Sequoia National Park west of the Great Western Divide campfires are not allowed above 9,000 feet. East of the Great Western Divide fires are not allowed above 10,000 feet. In addition fires are prohibited at Pinto Lake, Summit Lake Basin, Hamilton Lakes Basin, the Dillonwood area, and the Mineral King Valley above the ranger station.
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... ctions.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Goat
Topix Acquainted

Post by Goat »

Thanks for the campfire info. It's a rare treat that always seems to take a back seat to high elevation scenery, LNT ethics, and just plain lack of time due to fishing, shooting photos, and... sleeping.

We are down to two for the trip which makes us a bit more flexible. We are also adding a 6th night to the itinerary, but haven't figured out the plan yet. So far we're looking at Franklin, Little Claire, Big 5, Northern Little 5, Columbine. A 6 day itinerary adds so many possibilities I'm getting stuck.

A couple of options in consideration are taking a spur trip to Silver lake, as suggested on this thread, or spending another day in the 5 lakes area fishing and exploring. So that leads me to my inquiries:

Let's say we head to Silver Lake from Franklin Lakes on the second day instead of Little Claire. The next night has a lot of possibilities including dropping down Rattlesnake Creek to the Kern for a little low country river experience. That's a good 10 miles off trail and 4K drop though. It would be another 10 mi or so to climb back up to Big 5. Doable, but cutting into fishing time. If not pursuing the Kern trip, I'd love to get some other suggestions for the third night (Soda Creek, another more remote lake?)

Another option we're looking at for the extra night would be to spend it somewhere in the 5 lakes area with some more time during the day to explore. I am not familiar with the area, but hear that the fishing is good on some of those lakes. Or maybe there are some worthy objectives off the beaten path...

Nate
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If not pursuing the Kern trip, I'd love to get some other suggestions for the third night (Soda Creek, another more remote lake?)
Go check out the lakes in the upper part of Soda Creek, Lakes 10569, 10479, and Amphitheater Lake. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Goat
Topix Acquainted

Post by Goat »

Those look great, but I read on here that they were fishless.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, but worth the effort, otherwise explore the LFL area. :)

Goat
Topix Acquainted

Post by Goat »

Maverick, you are the man for always replying.