Early Aug alternate to Ediza trip in July?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hanmarta
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Early Aug alternate to Ediza trip in July?

Post by hanmarta »

Thanks for the info everyone!
There were a limited number of permits that worked with my dates so my plan B trip may be Fern Lake Trailhead late July. If neither trip works out I may just call it for the Eastern Sierras this year and try again for next. :) I appreciate all the feedback!
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mkbgdns »

in other words, walk around most of the lake. In normal years you can cross the outlet stream and go directly to the north side, but this year the outlet stream will be too high, especially in July.

actually. you can stay on the north side of the outlet stream by following a use trail at the log crossing below the lake. a rough track, but doable. still must negotiate a field of boulders before you get to the northside campsites, not easy but also doable.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

The log crossing was cracked in the middle and badly sloped in July '15. I don't recall if it was fixed when I went by there last year, I didn't get very close. If it's still broken, the slope is not much problem when dry, but it is slippery when wet. Doh, the MCL tear took 4 months to heal. :mad: