Planning Piute Pass Late July

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Planning Piute Pass Late July

Post by Matthewkphx »

Hi,

I've got a permit to go over Piute Pass in late July. Originally I had planned to go off-trail for a few days poking around Humphreys Basin, Carol Col and over towards French Canyon and then back over the pass and out to North Lake. I'm a Level 3 backpacker with just a little XC experience and no snow experience. I'll be traveling with my son, a strong backpacker. We have both been fine at altitude during previous trips to the Sierra Nevada including hiking the JMT (in June/July of 2015, not much snow...).

I'm thinking off-trail through Humphreys Basin is a bad idea for late July at this point given our experience level with snow/XC travel. I'm guessing the basin will still be full of snow, melting water everywhere and probably mosquito hell. I'd be very interested in any predictions of the conditions we'd encounter there in late July.

I'm guessing that staying on-trail might make more sense at this point and that I will want to have Microspikes with me. Does that seem sensible? As I look at my maps, I'm not sure this sounds like much fun as I don't have the time to do the full North Lake South Lake Loop with maybe 3–4 nights in the wilderness. Any thoughts on what I can/should do in this area with this permit or should I just bail on this plan and figure a different trip out?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Planning Piute Pass Late July

Post by rlown »

September 15th.. My prediction..
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There will be snow, so being on the trail vs off is a moot point. Don't go unless you are good at orienting. Take a GPS as a backup. There is nothing terribly steep near the trail so I think you will be fine, as long as you do not get lost. You should be able to find plenty of dry spots to camp on. I would establish a base camp and day hike to destinations such as the lakes below Mt. Humphreys, Murial, Wahoo, Golden Trout, and Tomahawk. These are not that far froma central base camp somewhere near Lower Golden Trout Lake, which should have dry spots. Do not run through the east side- those lakes are beautiful and have fish too. I would not try to go into Puppet Lake basin. There is plenty to do and see staying near Piute Pass. Mosquitoes will likely be bad, but Humphreys Basin often is windy which helps.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Also, a lot of people are in the same boat. It may be more difficult than usual to get a new permit later in the year. If you have the time in September and could do a mid-week trip, it would be better. But I do not think your original trip is totally impossible.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Agree with WD. Even if you get to upper Deso, or Mesa as a base camp.. Works. Access to Tomahawk is not far from Mesa. Puppet pass will be a mess on the North side in July this year..
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Thanks for the responses.

I do have a permit for Sabrina Lake in early September. I know that trip will be fun.

I'm inclined to go for the Piute trip in July and take it as a learning experience so we can see what traveling in the snow is like.

Dumb question: We will want microspikes, right?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Hmm. there was a snow berm there at piute pass in sept 2011, soo.. It's your call. depends on your shoes and if you know how to kick steps.. Pretty sure my boots took it ok as did the toes.. Again, that was Sept.. You also have to cross two creeks to even get out of North lake up the trail. Should be an adventure..
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Right now the North Lake Road is closed and could be damaged when the snow melts. But the road is only 1.7 miles to the trailhead parking lot so even if you cannot drive it, if it is safe to walk (and they allow you to walk), you could just do that. Would be worth a call to the FS office to confirm this before you go. Does the FS notify permit holders if the trailhead is not accessible?

With the snow, you will probably want to wear more than just trail runners. If you use a boot or light hiker with an aggressive lug sole, you probably would not need microspikes, unless you want to go up steeper slopes early in the morning. A couple of hours of sun usually softens the snow enough to kick steps. By all means take trekking poles. And extra socks- you will have wet feet. Gaiters are good to have too.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I went over Piute Pass with my wife and son in mid-July 1998. According to the CDEC data, in 1998 there were 133 inches on Piute Pass on April 1 and there was still 104 inches on June 1. By July 1, it says 0 inches. ( I have to question that 0 inches since there was quite a bit of snow on and around the pass itself.) This year there were 141 inches on April 1.

For us in 1998, the upper section of Humphreys Basin was still heavily snowed in. We found a snow free place to camp off-trail on the outlet creek from Humphreys Lakes (if you look at the HST map, we were at the "X" at 11,026 feet) . Muriel Lake was still ice covered but there were snow-free spots by the lake. My son and I tried exploring in the direction of Lower Desolation and gave up after an hour of post-holing. However, below 11,000 feet on the trail, the snow was spotty and mostly gone.

I would say while you probably should avoid anything as ambitious as Carol Col/Puppet Pass. Golden Trout Lake and French Canyon should be fine. The off-trail lakes in upper Humphreys Basin (Mesa, Desolation) are a question mark. There is a use trail from Piute Pass to Muriel Lake. By late July, that might be clear enough for you to hike. I think you should do your trip and be willing to improvise where you will be camping and hiking as you assess the conditions once you get over the pass.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Lots of good information here. Thanks very much for sharing your experiences. This is a little intimidating but very exciting.