Mammoth Lakes area Camping

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Mammoth Lakes area Camping

Post by sambieni »

Just got the green light for a 2 night solo trip Sunday, July 2 - Tuesday, July 4. I have a 2 night permit for Red Cones / Mammoth Pass.

Anyone have suggestion of where to sleep/camp Saturday July 1? Every single area campground is (obviously) reserved and I have zero confidence on getting a walk-up given the weekend/late hour as I will be getting up there around midnight. I plan to go to forest service late hours box and grab my pass to get on trail first thing that Sunday.

Also, suggestions on whether go north to Devil Postpile -> Ediza/Garnet/1000 Islands or loop around trails and back in via Duck Pass? (not eager for snow travel, if I can avoid).
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mammoth Lakes area Camping

Post by wildhiker »

Sounds like you just need a place to sleep Saturday night.

Except for a few areas right around developed campgrounds shown on the Inyo NF map, all of the national forest lands north of Mammoth up to June Lake in the rolling eastside pine forest around the various craters are open to dispersed camping, and there are numerous dirt roads lacing that area. You should be able to head down one of those roads until you find a spot where you can crash for the night. Bring your own water.

-Phil
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

When you pull into Mammoth on 203 there is the Mammoth Lakes Welcome Center (Ranger Station where you will be picking up your permits) on the right hand side before you actually get into town. Just after that on the right there is a road called Sawmill Cutoff, forest service 3508, and you can camp down there. Just drive down that road and there is shady rest campground and shady rest park, drive past both of those and the road turns to gravel and there will be many turn offs that you can pull off and drive a bit then crash. :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Thanks! And if my trailhead is around horseshoe lake, is it feasible to crash there for the night too? I will most likely just be sleeping in the back of my Outback.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Nope

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/inyo/r ... 8&actid=34

snippet:

Maps: Anyone planning a dispersed camping trip should invest in a copy of the Inyo National Forest map, which depicts land ownership as well as roads, streams, trails and other features. The map also shows “restricted use areas” where dispersed camping is not allowed.

Restricted Use Areas: Certain high-use recreation zones, including those along paved roads leading into the mountains, are not open to dispersed camping (see Inyo National Forest map). Dispersed camping is not allowed in the following areas: Horseshoe Meadow, Onion Valley, Big Pine Creek, Bishop Creek, Rock Creek, McGee Creek, Convict Lake, Mammoth Lakes, Reds Meadow Valley, June Lakes Loop, Lee Vining Canyon, Lundy Canyon, Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, and any research area.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

sambieni wrote:Thanks! And if my trailhead is around horseshoe lake, is it feasible to crash there for the night too? I will most likely just be sleeping in the back of my Outback.
If you're taking a nap in your car prior to setting out on a hike - that is not camping. If someone wakes you up and says otherwise, just throw your pack on and start hiking. :)
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Also because of the high (dangerous and posted warnings) CO2 gas emissions in the immediate area, there is no overnight "napping" at Horseshoe Lake TH either.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Well that certainly changes things.......unless one likes really l-o-n-g naps.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Hmmm, so it seems like if I need a "nap" than cold water cg area may be best, but if I need to "sleep" up near Mammoth Lakes Wilderness Center turnoff area may be best.
thx