Please critique/advise June 13-25 route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tekisui0
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Please critique/advise June 13-25 route

Post by tekisui0 »

Hello!

I was planning a completely different route but work responsibilities changed so now it looks like this is my available time frame. Of course there will be much snow and dangerous creek crossings, but I'm mostly wanting to find out if this route is feasible. I have quite a bit of backpacking experience, with a fair amount of XC in many different landscapes including the Sierra. Hiked a large loop out of Mineral King - Black Rock Pass with a bit of XC up in Big Arroyo, as well as some shorter trips incl the Benson Lk - Matterhorn canyon loop. I have limited snow experience but I would like to work on that. I've been backpacking in snow a handful of times with microspikes and hiking poles and without hardcore exposure. I'm not opposed to buying (and learning to use) crampons and an ice axe - Do you think they will be necessary on this route? I'm hoping to do some fishing and take a day or two off.

Start at Cherry Lake and go up Kibbie ridge to Many Isl Lk. Explore Boundry and Inferno Lks. Try to cross Kendrick Creek somewhere below Wheeler Peak. Up to Fawn Lk and Big Island Lk. The highest point on the trip would be crossing the pass NNE of Richardson Pk to Lk 9119 - on CalTopo it looks like theres a good route straight up to the pass, then north along the ridge before coming down. Head over to Otter Lk and down to Little Otter. It looks like there is a good route SW between two high points and down an unnamed drainage to Frog Crk and Bearup Lk. Depending how its going, head up to Miwok and Ardeth Lks. From Miwok head SW, then S to the trail heading up Jack Main Cyn. Explore Branigan Lks. Head up to Avonelle Lk, (OR take the trail up Jack Main OR Tilden Cyn?) Here I could go two ways - depending on Rancheria Crk in Kerrick Cyn. (Will it perhaps be possible to cross or no way?) I would prefer to hit the PCT then head down to Bear Vly and Pleasant Vly, but I could go around to Tiltill Vly and Rancheria falls to get to Pleasant Vly if thats more likely doable. Then to Pate Vly, up the Tuolumne to Glen Aulin and finish at Tuolumne Mdws. Of course the second half of the route would have to change significantly if Tioga Pass Rd hasn't opened. Not exactly sure about transportation so any advice there would be appreciated, (I have a 4WD and don't mind hitching). In general, any thoughts on the route are very welcome. Not sure if this might be legit or totally infeasible. It appears to be ~85 miles. Thanks in advance!!

Jason
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Please critique/advise June 13-25 route

Post by AlmostThere »

They aren't opening the Tuolumne Meadow campground until August. Looking at the amount of snow on the pass currently I'd guess it won't open til July. They are a LONG way from done.

You can expect that some of that area may be snow free but there will be lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of water. Jack Main will be pretty flooded as will so many other places that are low and flat-ish. Tiltill is famous for being a swampy bog, it's probably a pond currently. I could tell you from my trip out there last weekend, except the bridges are closed at Wapama because the water is suicidally high. And while the melt is in full force the creeks will be dangerous as heck.

Several feet of snow at 8-9k currently, more on north facing slopes -- snowline will creep up steadily over the next weeks, but I'd bet above 9k you'll be having suncuppy fun and plenty of snow.

If by transportation you mean some kind of shuttle, you won't find one back to Cherry from anywhere in the park.
tekisui0
Topix Acquainted

Post by tekisui0 »

The NNE Richardson Pk pass is the only part of the route over 9k, the majority is under 8k.
Last edited by tekisui0 on Sat May 20, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

... except for Tuolumne Meadows.

Good luck with the mossies, with as much water as will be present everywhere, it's gonna be epic.
tekisui0
Topix Acquainted

Post by tekisui0 »

Tuolumne mdws elevation says 8600. I really want to get out in the Sierra and this might be my only window this summer. Any better suggestions?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is going to be hard to do one long trip anywhere in the Sierra that early without getting into snow or high water. What about two trips? For example, go to SEKI and into Hamilton Lake for one trip, day-hike up to Precipice Lake if the trail is open. That is a good 4-day trip. Then go to Cedar Grove/Roads End and up Bubbls Creek, or Woods Creek. The problem may be getting permits, but I think if you are flexible it could work.

The northern Sierra melts off later than the southern Sierra, especially the east side. Cottonwood Lakes may be good. ALthough high altitude it does not have too much snow to melt.

I have been on most of your proposed route, early season. I did a trip report of my trip to Cherry Creek, Spotted Fawn and climb Nance Peak, last summer first week in June. Assuming this year will be at least a month later for melt, you will have more snow and lots of soggy going. I also did Emigrant first week june 2014. Do not think the Ginelli trailhead would even be open this year in June. Northern Yosemite is know for high water flows in the creeks. I would not touch the area early this year unless there was a bridge crossing the creeks. There is a key crossing in Jack Main that I doubt you would be able to do.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'll just say it flat out.. Kibbie sucks. You will be hard pressed to fish in Yosemite until September. And I agree with AT.. It's gonna be epic..
tekisui0
Topix Acquainted

Post by tekisui0 »

Hmmm... I was hoping all of those lakes between 7-8k would be nice and good fishing- is that not the case then? I'm not stuck on Yosemite at all, just wanting to get out for as long as possible within my window. Thought I had read several folks saying Kibbie area was a good early season option, as well as grand canyon of the Tuolumne. I've been to Hamilton/Precipice, would like to go somewhere new. Please tell me where to go if this route is no good!!
Thank You!!!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

you'll be sharing the trail with white water kayakers. That run in Kibbie Creek is FABULOUS for them. They tie straps on those neat little yaks and haul 'em up there and have a bonkers good time running the creek. Fun to watch.

I'll second Precipice -- you can't eat the native fish in that area tho, the fishing regs in SEKI are such that keeping fish below 9000 feet is verboten unless they are non natives. Going up to Pear Lake there are brook trout in all the lakes so that is fairly decent for fishing to eat, but take a pan and a stove, no campfires allowed.

Other options might be available if not for the fact that ROADS aren't opening early, either. There's damage on so many roads, even the ones being plowed. They're plowing Kaiser Pass and know already there is work to be done on it. Some of them like the McKinley Grove Road have half the road crumbling in and needing repair work before they open to the public.
Last edited by AlmostThere on Sat May 20, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

tekisui0 wrote:Tuolumne mdws elevation says 8600. I really want to get out in the Sierra and this might be my only window this summer. Any better suggestions?
September after the HSC's close.. That's when I'm going.. Haven't been for awhile.. Tuolumne lodge to Evelyn (screw Vogelsang) and then over to Townsley and up to Hanging Basket.. Sometimes the soul needs to be replenished...