Post Labor Day Backpacking Trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
johnbarrett
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post Labor Day Backpacking Trip

Post by johnbarrett »

I am planning on a backpacking trip somewhere in the Sierras the day after labor day for a week or so. Looking for a good loop route not including the JMT or PCT (a small portion of either would be okay if need be) as I have done both already. I have never started anything on the east side of the Sierras. Also, will the large snowpack still be an issue in early September over 10,000?

Thanks,
John
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Post Labor Day Backpacking Trip

Post by maverick »

Hi John,
Welcome to HST! Please read: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
johnbarrett
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by johnbarrett »

ive done both the PCT and the JMT separately. That should suffice as an explanation no?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

What it doesn't help with are your goals for the trip, or your other preferences -- neither of those trips will prepare you for cross country travel, or explain your comfort level with such, for example. Fishing? Focusing on photography? Peak bagging? Where do you prefer to start from/are you flying into a particular airport/how far do you care to travel to a trailhead/etc?

Otherwise you won't get much usefulness, just a scattering of answers. It's a big mountain range and knowing more about what you want makes a difference.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

What it doesn't help with are your goals for the trip, or your other preferences -- neither of those trips will prepare you for cross country travel, or explain your comfort level with such, for example. Fishing? Focusing on photography? Peak bagging? Where do you prefer to start from/are you flying into a particular airport/how far do you care to travel to a trailhead/etc?

Otherwise you won't get much usefulness, just a scattering of answers. It's a big mountain range and knowing more about what you want makes a difference.

What AT wrote. The form does narrows down the scope of answers you will receive, being much quicker and useful for your intentions, but you can go your route if you like. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org