Suggestion for First Weekend of June (2nd-4th)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
timachine
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Suggestion for First Weekend of June (2nd-4th)

Post by timachine »

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails - I have done the JMT and several other smaller backpacking trips.

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 1 terrain/trail hiking - comfortable with mostly trail hiking.

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Forests
- Big Mountain scenery

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead? 3 days and 2 nights

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers? lower mileage, around six max with a lay day.

Have you hiked at elevation before? Any prior issues with Altitude Sickness? Have hike at elevation with no altitude sickness issues.

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point (which may require 2 vehicles or hitchhiking)? loop or out and back

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in (Yosemite, SEKI western sierra start or eastern start ect.)? Open to anywhere.

Have you hiked in the Sierra Nevada before, if yes, where? Please list a few of your more difficult hikes, so we can then reccomend routes based on your expereinece level.
John Muir Trail through hike in 2011, South Lake to North Lake, South Lake Trailhead into Dusy Basin and back.

Will you be hiking with a dog? No

Main reason for making this topic is due to the substantial snow pack. I initially had planned on going up Pine Creek up to Honeymoon Lake but the reality is that I don't go out in winter like conditions with no trail present. Does anybody have any recommendations into a simple backpacking trip into/near the Sierra's (lower elevation) that wouldn't be affected by the snow pack and still be beautiful? I'm more familiar with the eastern side but am open to western as well.

Thank you for the help!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Suggestion for First Weekend of June (2nd-4th)

Post by AlmostThere »

Two considerations: waterways will be running at an all time high, so any route that forces you to wade creeks will be potentially dangerous particularly if you end up crossing in the late afternoon. And roads - many are still under snow, and even when the snow melts, repairs will likely be necessary due to washouts.

I will suggest Chilnualna Falls (Yosemite) to the nearby lakes and back. Be prepared to face tons of water and turn around if there are unsafe crossings. At some point, you'll run into snow covering the trail - there is still several feet of snow above 7k.

Golden Trout may be a good option in late June - July. Freeman Creek is accessible now, in fact, the trail is melted out.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yosemite Valley will be at its prime. Unfortunately, prime crowds too. If the bridges are not washed out or covered with water, the hike up the Merced to Echo Valley is very scenic. Echo Valley will likely be flooded, but if willing to wade it is not that bad. However, I do not feel that continuing to Merced Lake is really worth the effort. I plan to go in the next few days (when I get done with picking and processing a bumper cherry crop) and will do a short overnight (so I can stay in the backpacker's campground) and some day-hiking the day I arrive and leave. One good thing about the crowded Yosemite trails, is that most will have some good tracks already in place through the snow.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

the hike up the Merced to Echo Valley is very scenic.
Sorry, but personally I usually try to get through that section as quickly as possible, especially after the fire, it is boring, flooded during the early season, and full of rattlesnakes, but the area above it on the northern side of the valley, off the High Trail, it is quite pretty and alpine like, this however is not an option this year with all the snow. Lost Valley and Bunnell Cascade will be interesting with this years run-off, but still not really a destination spot IMO, unless you really enjoy cascades.

Since you already have done the JMT won't recommend anything in the Valley, try Rancheria Creek out of Hetch Hetchy, if conditions are safe to cross at the Falls.
It is just to early, especially if you have no experience in dealing with snow and winter camping.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Phil Arnot's guidebook considers the trek up the Merced at peak flows one of the classics of the Sierra. Yes, there is a section of burn now, but the trip includes the Mist Trail. The purpose of this trip would be to view the high water and cascades. Part of the high water "ambiance/adventure" is the wading through Echo Valley. If that is not your thing, then probably not your trip. I have been in Yosemite, on the Pohono Trail, up the Merced, North RIm traverse, up to Mt Watkins, and more at peak flows (May to early June) and never am bored even after multiple trips. In fact one of my favorite hikes is the 12-mile loop around the valley.

If you go to Rancheria camp at Hetch Hetchy, you could also day-hike to LeConte Point and get a great view upstream.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

PS, there are rattlesnakes at Hetch Hetchy too!