TR: Roaring River

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Roaring River

Post by JosiahSpurr »

I am searching for a way to visit Cloud Canyon and Deadman Canyon compressed into a two-day weekend. Yesterday, I discovered a hike that starts in Kings Canyon NP from highway CA 180. Here is where it starts from 180, look for this log, but try to picture it from the other direction on the other side of the road since this photo is what you would see going west away from Road's End:
IMG_1208-Roaring.JPG
Turn around, cross the road, and start heading up the canyon one sees. It is clogged with rocks, from bottom to top, making it easy climbing. There are no obstacles. This is what it looks like near the top:
IMG_1110-Roaring.JPG
At the top there is a saddle or pass, with a view of Palmer Mountain and Mt. Brewer (I think). Here is one view:
IMG_1141-Roaring.JPG
I could clearly hear Roaring River ... roaring, it was May 13, 2017, a very heavy snow year. By mid-May, most of the lower elevation snow had already melted. Here is another view:
IMG_1150-Roaring.JPG
It took about 2 hours of climbing to get to the pass. The way down was surprisingly easy, just hoping over rocks and boulders all the way down, in less than 2 hours. Next, how to proceed from that pass to Deadman and Cloud Cyns?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JosiahSpurr on Mon May 15, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Roaring River

Post by balzaccom »

Well that's cool. From the pass, it looks like you are about 1800 above the Roaring River, which at that point it down in a deep gorge. You'd have to contour around the next ridge you can see on the right...and that would then allow you to get down a steep slope into Sugarloaf Valley. It would be a fund adventure someday!

Any poison oak on the lower sections of that canyon>?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=36.74353 ... r&n=1,0.25

Short cuts are sometimes not worth it... it may look like a pass, but I've been there and done that so many times and found there was so much more climbing to do.... cross country sometimes slows you to a crawl. It Depends (tm).
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I agree with AT. Suspect you had to be at the lowest gap on the ne end of Sentinel ridge since you did not mention dealing with snow. From that point point you would have top deal with some significant brush and nasty terrain to get down to the river. If you instead crossed two gaps west of Sentinel Dome it would be much easier to drop down to Sugarloaf Creek then get down to the river. It took you 2 hours to get 1 mile! From that point you still have 3 miles at least of off trail travel to get to a trail, lets say you can do better, maybe 1 mph for that 3 miles which includes 1, maybe 2 nasty creek crossings depending on when you attempt this. Then you are still 3 miles from Roaring River Ranger Station. So make that 6 hours to get to RR ranger Station. When I was a young and studly bc ranger I could make it between Sunset Meadow Ranger Station and Roaring River in 6 hours carrying a relatively light pack (and the drive is less than that into Cedar Grove.) An early trip could still involve 2 creek crossings that could be difficult in early season (I had a couple of trees located that I used early in the season but that was almost 30 years ago.). At any rate this is a long detailed way of agreeing with AlmostThere.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

balzaccom wrote:Any poison oak on the lower sections of that canyon>?
I did not see any poison oak. I like that idea -- it would be a fun adventure! I was struck by some HUGE downed tree trunks that were very long at the top of the pass meaning what is now tree-less was once home to big trees.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

AlmostThere wrote:Short cuts are sometimes not worth it...
Thanks for the link. This may be one of those cases where it's not worth it. We'll see whether or not I go further in the future. The pass is just above and to the left of the red "21" at 7,133 feet ( 36.7713, -118.6273 ). I am trying to avoid Avalanche Pass at 10,020 feet. It would save 2,880 feet up and the same elevation down!
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

oldranger wrote:I agree with AT. Suspect you had to be at the lowest gap on the ne end of Sentinel ridge...
Thank you for feedback, yes, I think that it was the lowest gap on the Sentinel Ridge just uphill from the gorge at Roaring River. I ran into two (2) "springs" in the middle of the canyon (or just the stream coming up to the surface). Thanks for putting things into perspective, giving a bigger picture, I didn't even know the name Sentinel and see there's a Sentinel Dome which may be a nice visit!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Much easier to hike in from Sunset Meadow than Cedar Grove, anyway.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

oldranger wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 7:06 am Much easier to hike in from Sunset Meadow than Cedar Grove, anyway.
Where is that meadow and where would one park?
FrankPS
Topix Acquainted

Post by FrankPS »

I believe they are referring to Rowell Meadows. Google it. It is off of the General's Highway and Big Meadow Road.