Where did you go 2011?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Where did you go 2011?

Post by rlown »

For me that was a September Puppet Lk year and about 8 other lakes in the area. We were getting hit by a bit of snow and decided to stay at Lower Desolation on the hike in.
Puppet 2011 015.JPG

View looking back at the Glacier divide from Mesa the next day.
SDC12455.JPG
This was the Star col trip and wasn't that fun.
Puppet 2011 047.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

May 1-2, 2011, Eldorado NF, Silver Fork, Bassi Falls, and beyond. Camped at about 6,200 feet. FS roads still had lots of snow. Lots of water everywhere.

June 26-28, 2011, Point Reyes, Wildcat & Coast camps. Lots of beach walking.

August 20-23, 2011, Desolation Wilderness, Velmas, Rubicon, Fontanillis, etc.

Sept. 10-11, 2011, Desolation Wilderness, Twin & Island Lakes, xcountry to Clyde and back.

I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

I'm loving this thread.

On June 18-24, 2011, I backpacked into Iva Bell Hot Springs via the west side from McCreary Trailhead >> Cassidy Bridge >> Heitz Meadow >> Silver Creek >> Fish Creek.

I posted a trip report here:
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... iva#p44609

5870304809_cd196f42a9_b.jpg
5870216945_2021de69de_b.jpg
5870329155_1ecaf06668_b.jpg
5870364499_6c6491b59e_b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flamingo on Sun May 07, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Went up Goddard Canyon with my Son and pal the 1st week of August. Was a driving rain storm on the drive into Florence Lake. Barely made the ferry as it cleared up just in time. Side cascades coming down all along the hike in, really beautiful. The San Joaquin was roaring with all the falls excellent (Pig Chute, etc.). About a quarter of the open ground was covered with snow at the Martha Lake level (~11,000 feet). Other hikers said there was about 4 mi of snow walking to cross over Muir Pass. McClure Meadow was largely flooded. Piute Canyon was roaring too. Lots of great wildflowers in bloom. Seems like the 1st week of August in the Sierra Nevada never dissapoints.
IMG_0405r.jpg
IMG_0411r.jpg
IMG_0436r.jpg
IMG_0493r.jpg
IMG_0459r.jpg
Last edited by Dave_Ayers on Fri May 05, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Daisey: have you ever been to Kid Lakes out of Kings Canyon? If so, what did you think? There are 3 forks.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I went 6-7 times (never in August) and never saw anyone except us there.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Trip 1. Hetch Hetchy May 18,19,20
1Stealth camp 5-19.jpg
Trip 2. One night In Redwood Mt. Grove, May 22.
2 redwood Mt. grove.jpg
Trip 3. Three nights at Nellie Lake, met up with giant brookie 1st day, Tehipite Tom showed up for nights 2 and 3 July 14-17
3Nellie Lake.jpg
Trip 4. Hoffman Mt. to Tunemah and return (trip remembered as sun cup hell) July 18-29.
4Tunemah Lake.jpg
Trip 5. Levitt Meadow to Hetch Hetchy (the only trip I came out early because I was in a funk!) September 11-20.
5 Pass between Tower Lake and Mary Lake.jpg
Also did skiing day trips in N. Sierra before Hetch Hetchy trip, Two trips to Holden Village in North Cascades-June and October, a bunch of day hikes in the Cascades, one 2 night trip in the Cascades, and a quick trip to Alaska.

It was a busy year!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Two of my 2011 trips are relevant to this snow discussion.

TRIP #1 June 18 @ Miter Basin -- The hike from Horseshoe Meadow over Cottonwood Pass and within 1 to 1.5 mi of lower Soldier Lake had patches or long sections of snow, but the travel wasn't difficult. A little beyond where the trail to Soldier Lakes breaks off from the PCT there was solid snow all the way to Miter Basin. Miter Basin itself was deep in snow. Although Big Whitney Meadow, down below the PCT in the Golden Trout Wilderness, was snow free ...
Big Whitney Meadow.JPG
... nearby Siberian Outpost, about 1K feet higher, was snowbound.
Siberian Outpost.JPG
TRIP #2 Sept 4 @ Seven Gables -- This trip was late in the year but snow still provided an obstacle at the highest elevations. For example, Seven Gables Pass had a large cornice and the pass itself was snow blocked. It wasn't too difficult, with some scouting around, to find a circuitous way down. The chute to climb Seven Gables was covered with snow.
Scott below Seven Gables.jpg
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

That was my South Lake to North Lake complete loop year.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

I did the same Deso loop that you did, but was exactly one day ahead of you. I'm sure you used the steps I kicked in the 55°slope traversing Susie. I had just taken a big tumble on a steep slope upstream of there and had to self arrest with fingernails, stopping right in front of a boulder. I had 2 newbies with me (daughter & niece) and stomped out a fairly flat trail ferrying their packs across. The slope was covered and the lake surface frozen except for the perimeter. Momentum would have carried anyone out under the ice. That was dicey. I was really wishing I had another experienced person with me, especially having just taken that spill.