Attention JMT/PCT Hikers: New Cedar Grove Resupply Rules

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Attention JMT/PCT Hikers: New Cedar Grove Resupply Rules

Post by Big Ed »

jrarms2x wrote:
To me the hike to Cedar grove seems like it would be much more enjoyable than the hike down to Lone Pine or Independance.
I’ve been up and down the Bubbs Creek trail a couple times, also did a couple east side trails, Paiute Pass & Pine Creek Trailhead. Bubbs Creek has more shade for sure. I know the store at Cedar Grove wasn’t set up for backpackers, it’s for car campers. But a prepared hiker doesn’t need that anyway.
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Saltydog »

I am a little nervous that I cannot find anything on the SEKI website that confirms that I can get a resupply if I send it to Cedar Grove. The only thing I can find directly from SEKI is the Grant Grove address, but am sure that is no longer an option. AM I missing something on the SEKI website?

Thanks
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Saltydog »

OK: Never mind, I think. I just spoke with Kathy at the Cedar grove Visitors Center and She tells me I can indeed send directly by US Mail to the Grant Grove Visitors Center. This years' rules. Anyone confirm they ahve the same information?
Big Ed
Topix Regular

Post by Big Ed »

My son and I used the Cedar Grove Visitor Center for resupply last year, about August 20th. I called the wilderness office and confirmed they still do it, before sending. We came down Woods Creek and back up the same way, so we didn’t miss any JMT. The resupplies were stored in a block building around behind the visitor center, so I was advised to plan on rodents having access to the packages. We used buckets just like with Muir Trail Ranch for that reason. My wife says UPS charged $88 per bucket from Fresno, CA.
Big Ed
Topix Regular

Post by Big Ed »

Oops, I didn’t refresh the page before submitting my post. Took me a while to type it.