Which Would You Do?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Which Would You Do?

Post by tlsharb »

Well, this year the annual "let's get out of New Hampshire and climb some real hills" trip is shaping up for late September. The last fours trips have been in the Red Mtn basin, Bench Valley, Blackcap area.....so I wanna go somewhere new. Two options I'm looking at are these:

a. West side entrance: Edison Lake up to the Silver Divide. Spend time at Graveyard Lks, Peter Pande, and the Indians.
b. East side: Coldwater Trailhead to Duck Lake, Purple Lake, up to Ram/Franklin.

The gang going this year is a little older and probably wouldn't want to do much cross country or high miles (last year we covered about 50 miles in a week...this year maybe 30-35?). So I'd like to go where there's decent fishing, nice scenery, and maybe a peak or two to climb. For those who have done both areas-- where would you go?

Thanks in advance,
terry

PS: though I'm not sure about a couple of our members cross country abilities, how tough is the pass between Graveyard Lakes and Peter Pande. That would sure save a lot of miles as opposed to going on the trail.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Which Would You Do?

Post by maverick »

Both are good, but would definitely choose "a", hand down.

Would not classify it as a difficult class 2, but you have to assess your groups abilities by each individuals experience level and proceed accordingly: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5447

You could also go over Goodale Pass and then access the basin from the east.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by overheadx2 »

With out question A. I did that loop last Sept with some friends and my wife. Big fish and very few people. Ive done Duck/ Purple lake area several times and it gets crowded with the JMT. Silver pass and to Graveyard Pass was beautiful. Here is my trail report viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14874
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

If fishing is a priority, then option B is better especially if Virginia is added to the mix (along with the Rams and Franklins).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Post by tlsharb »

Guys,
Thanks for the input. If it was just me, I think I'd go for the biggest fish. But at least one of the people coming is not a fisherman. Soooooo.....Silver Divide here we come.
ts
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I dunno, I'd spend a week at Iva Bell Hot Springs... best wilderness hot spring in the mountain range. For that I'd vote B.
A can't be beat for scenery tho, and some decent fishing. Still have a goal of packing in a pack raft and paddling around Peter Pande.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I'd do neither because I've recently been to both. But you haven't. (:

Late September days are short and often chilly even mid day, nights long and at a minimum frosty by morning. Fish are generally easier to catch, less picky as they have less aquatic insects left to feed on as well as those flying, most of which have mated, laid eggs, and now are long dead. This is also early fall photography season along the Eastern Sierra higher aspen groves though there are none at either a or b. Early northern fronts sometimes visit dusting higher peaks with snow that tends to melt back within a few days. Places like Silver Fox Pass could however retain snow and thus be dangerous. So Goodale Pass would be the plan.

Would not advise going over Goodale Pass the first day as many would here that is too far and too much vertical unless one has a light load and or is in strong shape. Best to be content reaching upper Cold Creek and the 9600 foot elevation at 6 miles and 2100 feet is reasonable choice. Thus don't go to Graveyard Lakes the first day that is really not a worthwhile place to go for just a day especially the lower lake that is over used. So in the morning it would still be a stiff 1300 foot ascent over Goodale. Then you could stay at one of the PCT trail lakes that are quite scenic with several modest fishing options. Thus the third day you could make Olive Lake your destination that is best, probably least visited, and worth a layover. You will need one day to go from the Minnow Creek lakes back to the Goodale zone. On the hike out you can go from that zone over Goodale and all the way back. Thus you have 5 days minimum just for travel and could easily spend 2 or 3 more in that destination lake basin just to minimally have a chance to experience each of the lake areas.

David
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Folks from New Hampshire are going to get a far better show of fall colors in New Hampshire than anywhere in the Sierra. LOL. They want to see "big mountains".

Lake Edison will likely be fuller this year. I am not sure when the ferry service ends, but if it is still running, you could go in Silver Pass and come out Goodale Pass. It has been many years, but we had better fishing at lakes in the Peter Pande cirque and Wilbur May than at the "Indian lakes". The only worry I may have for this area is that an early fall storm may make getting out the road a challenging. Depends on what car you are driving. I have never driven the road when it was wet or icy. Just be aware that it takes some time to get to Edison Lake even when the road is in good shape.

Not sure if it would fit in your schedule, but a side-trip to Mott Lake is nice if you were to go in or out via Silver Pass.
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Post by tlsharb »

David,
Since I usually arrive in Fresno around noon (earliest I can get there from Boston), the norm has been to get to the trailhead and hike a couple hours before setting up camp for the night. Looks like we could get somewhere around the first Cold Creek crossing (that's assuming we get to Edison by four and on the trail by five). Then the next day we could go over the pass and hit one of the Indian lakes. Does that sound sane??

WD,
Believe it or not, when you've lived in NH for 30 years, fall gets a little "usual" :). Trust me when I say that over the last 4 years, taking folks from here up to the Sierra high country, they drop their jaws at the beauty. We have the White Mtns, and they are a tough hike (steep and crappy trails)....but they aren't in the same league as the Sierra.

ts
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Here is a fishing trip I did with my husband (who does not like long days). You could visit both areas! I cannot find the daily milages; you will have to figure that out. This trip was early September in 2011, which was also a high snowpack year. We still had mosquitoes and everything was very green. We caught fish in all the lakes we camped at. Our pace was very slow- you could do this in 7 days. Maybe more than your group wants to do.

1) 4 hour drive to TH and short day to Duck Lake (all trail).
2) intended to get to Olive Lake but got caught in a big storm and camped on Fish Creek (all trail)
3) short day to Olive Lake (trail, but not in great shape)
4) x-c to Peter Pande Lake via Anne Lake
5) short day to Lake of the Lone Indian with side-trip to fish Wilbur May (fair trails)
6) side-trip to Warrior Lake; drop to Cascade Valley and JMT; up to Virginia Lake (trail)
7) Ram Lake (some x-c, some use-trail)
8) back to Duck Lake (this time camped at Pika Lake- very scenic- mostly trail)
9) short day out on trail, and 4 hour drive home