Backpacking into South Sierra Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
plablonde
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Backpacking into South Sierra Wilderness

Post by plablonde »

My boyfriend and I are heading to Kennedy Meadows Campground on Friday, April 14th and taking the PCT portion of the trail up into the South Sierra Wilderness. We are hoping to find some decent areas for fishing and camping along the Kern River. However, I wanted to know if anyone has been up in that area recently and has any idea on trial conditions/fallen trees/etc? Since its decently low elevation for the Sierra, I'm assuming there will be less of an impact from the snow this season than what the rest of the Sierra are dealing with. Park rangers have little information since their trail crews haven't been out yet this year. Thanks!
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Backpacking into South Sierra Wilderness

Post by paul »

Have not heard anything or been down there. However, closest snow sensor is at Beach Meadows off to the northwest, at 7650 feet elevation, where there is 6" of snow at the moment. So I'd expect to see some snow around that elevation and of course more if you go higher. Would also expect very high flows in all creeks & rivers.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by RichardCullip »

Have you checked the fishing regs up there. Is the season open on your target creeks?
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Last Saturday in April is generally the opening of the season for most waterways in the Sierra.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Inl ... egulations

As for trail conditions... what trail crews? A ranger might go out on a horse or something and give it an eyeball if the road's open. There'll be plenty of fallen trees along the way.