Is the lower Kern worth it?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Is the lower Kern worth it?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have had a trip up the lower Kern figured out for over 10 years and have never done it. I figured this may be the place for an early season trip this year. The plan is up from Lloyd Meadows, past Little Kern and up the Kern to the hot springs. Then back, but instead drop to the Kern River (Kern Flat) and come back along the river. From what I see on the map and Google Earth, river crossings would be on bridges. 7-day, 63 mile trip (assuming I walk back to my car parked at Llyod Meadows). Is this trip worth the effort and if so, when this year would be the best time? I do not mind snow, but would prefer to get out there before the mosquito hatch. Is all the fishing barbless and release? Or is there anywhere I could catch and eat a few fish? Fishing is secondary, so if I had to have inferior fishing to avoid mosquites, I would do that. I also really want to see the Kern River running a good amount of water.

I would appreciate information from anyone who has done this. I have dropped down from Moraine Lake and been up to the hot springs. I do have that figured out. I am not totally mosquito-adverse- just want to avoid peak hatch.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Is the lower Kern worth it?

Let me clearify what I mean by "worth it". It is an all day drive for me, and then it looks like a lengthy drive on back roads to get to Lloyd Meadows. I would do this in place of my early season "warm-up" hikes I usually do in Henry Coe Park or Yosemite Valley (great trips but I have done them a million times). Looking at May, no later than mid-June. I have also though it would be fun to include the Kernville kayack festival (not as a participant, but a spectator). I have aslo always want to see the Needles. So, lots of new stuff for me, but definitly the effort to get there is not minor.

Also, coming south on 99, what is the fastest way to get to Lloyd Meadows?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

The road from Johnsondale to Lloyd Meadow is subject to winter closures, so a call to Forest service is the first order of business. I believe driving to Bakersfield and into the Kern Canyon would be the best route. I haven't been from Porterville up the Tule in quite a while. I used to camp at Quaking Aspen campground many years ago and from there to the Kern only once. I seem to recall a long long mountain road drive.

IIRC, the wild trout section is from Johnsondale bridge to 5 miles above. I planned on doing this trip from the Forks up a few years ago and found a bit of info. What comes to mind is potential difficulty getting across the Little Kern early season. Once the Kern gets flowing, the Forks is a popular place for rafters to put in. The few TR's I've seen (one here somewhere, I think) indicate with pics and narrative a great time. Forest, river, canyon, campfire.

All I can say about best time, you already know. It gets hot in that canyon as spring passes. I guess start with finding out if the road is open and go from there. My best guess would be as early season as possible.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

I also have roughly this same trip on my list and think this might be the year for it. The Lloyd meadows road opens earlier than most roads in the area allowing access to the little and main kern via the jerky meadows trailhead. To me this is a early summer or early fall trip...too warm in July and august. Plus the rattlesnakes, lots of rattlesnakes.

Getting there is pretty easy. From Bakersfield, take hwy 178 and head towards johnsondale. Another route is to take hwy 65, turn east towards California hot springs and follow directions to the Lloyd road. Another option is Lewis camp trailhead near quaking meadows but the road is usually the last to open in the area.

Fishing wise, the regs can be confusing for the area. Little kern area=5 trout, barbless, no bait. Kern river to SNP boundary= 2 rainbows under 10" can be kept, can keep 5 browns any size, barbless and no bait. Kern river in SNP to 9000'=no rainbows kept, can keep 5 browns any size, barbless and no bait.

I've been in that area early in the season and most creeks will be blown out and the little kern and kern will be running high and fast. Kern lakes will be the best opportunity to catch something.
Last edited by Snowtrout on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

The route crosses all rivers on bridges. As of 2016 Google Earth, I can actually see those trails, so unless washed out this spring, that sould not be an issue. Rattlesnakes, no problem. I spent 25 years in Wyoming and we had lots of rattlesnakes. I know how to look out for them. I am more concerned about mountain lions. And yes, I plan on going in via Jerkey Meadow.

The 2016 Google Earth image is 7/15/16- it looks so dry and the rivers low. I am guessing the ground conditions will be a lot like this in June this year, but the rivers higher. The trails are very visible on the image but hard to say exactly how rough they are. The access roads will be a main consideration. I will check on that.

Thanks for the fishing regulation explaination. I do not expect fishing to be great in the Kern, because of high flows, but hopefully a few pools will be available to fish. My main trip to the upper Kern in August will be my "fishing" trip. This is my "Kern River" year!

I have a few "early" trips on the back burner. Right now the lower Kern is on the top of the list. I guess this is a lot like those from So.Cal trying to decide if Desolation Wilderness is "worth" the effort - long drive.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Try something new, I would def go early season and enjoy spring up there, the hatch will be earlier than your usual high sierra stuff. So play it by ear. Lots of exploring to do in and around Golden Trout and Kern. I think you will be pleasantly surprised, plus the meadows wont be brown and dusty.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Family obligations got in the way of trying to tie in this trip with the Kern River festival. But for anyone interested here is the link for that event.

http://kernfestival.com/
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I don't want to be too much of a Debbie Downer, but IMO the lower Kern area registers as a definite "meh". It's my understanding - subject to correction - that the Sequoia NP boundary at Siberian outpost represents the southernmost edge of ancient glaciation. That is why north of the border is the stark, hard carved granite we love at HST, while south are (boring) tree filled rolling hills.

The fishing could be very good in the tributary areas of the Golden trout wilderness, but the Kern of course will be out of control.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I have been in Kern Canyon where the HST goes down and upstream from there. The canyon is not as spectacular as those in Yosemite (such as Grand Canyon of Tuolumne or Merced) but given I have done those many times, the Kern below where I have been before, is at least something new and accessible early. I am trying to do some "big water" peak runoff hikes. A shorter drive for me would be to drop into the San Joaquin by Balloon Dome, but the Minarets Road will likely open late this year, making that trip too hot by the time the road opens.

But yes, I am aware that the Kern is not big wall granite country and I am aware that the fishing is better late season. I am still on the fence regarding if it is worth it. Thanks for your opinion.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I've posted pics on HST many times but apparently no more. I couldn't get into HST on my computer. I was going to post some good pics of the Kern but can't.
One year the road was not open until Labor Day weekend.
I've hiked on that trail up from Kern Flat. It wasn't much to see. I''ve been to Kern Flat a few times and it was pretty cool but I don't know that it would be worth the hike down and back.
You can't cross the little kern in most springs without a boat and two people. I did that once with "saint" Diane.
I spent more than 40 days on the lower Kern and never once saw a rattlesnake. It was surprising to me too. I've seen several just about Kings Canyon roads end.
Kern Hot springs is a cool place and if you go there be sure to bring a large plastic container to put Kern River water in the springs. It's very hot. When I went there were lots of people and every evening a long line to wait to use the hot springs tub but I was there in August.