Is the lower Kern worth it?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c0ryh
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Is the lower Kern worth it?

Post by c0ryh »

Hi,

Last month I was at Johnsdale bridge hiking and fishing the wild trout section. The river was like nothing I've seen before. It's high, fast, and very dangerous. One slip and it's goodnight. The water was way too fast to fish and brown. My buddy found one small pool and pulled out a nice rainbow. I don't wan't to ruin your hopes but I definitely would not attempt to cross little Kern. If it's anything like the main river at Johnsdale bridge was 3 weeks ago, it will be suicide to try and cross it on anything but a bridge. I also wanted to do the trip in early July with my wife but it looks like it will have to wait. If you are going just to see the river flowing than it's a perfect trip. maybe you can change your route in order to avoid waiting across?

Cory Hudson
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by RichardCullip »

In this year's high water, this would make a great trip in late September. The main Kern fishes very well at that time of the year. In addition, fording the Little Kern at the Forks should be much easier and safer by then.

p.s. most of the locals consider the Lower Kern to be the stretch that comes out of Lake Isabella and flows thru the canyon on the way to Bakersfield.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for the information. I am very cautious crossing rivers and would turn around if needed. I have a route figured out that crosses on bridges, assuming the bridges do not wash out. It requires some back-tracking but that's ok. I would only go up the Kern as long as the side creeks are safely crossed. It looks like I may do this trip later (June?) but am saving August-Sept for trips in the high Sierra.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Yes its worth it. We did a 5 day trip in the area and had a good time. Its forest walking, who doesn't like the forest? :wink: We didn't see anyone either so that was a huge plus. We stopped at Jordan Hot Springs, which had a really great hot spot in the creek close to the tubs. The little kern would be very difficult to cross early season...if not completely impassible.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

I like the kern as a FALL fishing trip - up to kern flat area is beautiful in fall colors, the river is great (crossable with waders in parts... though very few parts) when flows are lower, etc...