Calling all Yosemite experts

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Calling all Yosemite experts

Post by Hobbes »

Yes, I'm probably just gonna go with the E side. The storm that is coming in next week could create flooding in the Valley. It happened to us 12 years ago (May) when the park was closed for a day and we had to stay up in Wawona an extra night.

No one was sure if they were going to open the next day, but finally @ noon they allowed people in. Even then, the circuit road was under an inch of water. We stopped to check out Bridalveil and the path itself was essentially a 2-4" deep creek starting from the parking lot. (The mist coming off the roaring waterfall & outflow completed the 100% drenching experience.)

I'll probably just go with whatever road happens to be open. It would be fun to hike in to Miter from Cottonwood, but I don't think they'll have Horseshoe road open. Big Pine could be the call - good suggestion.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Conditions at Duck Lake on 4/28:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Shhsgirl »

Markskor, you're the "old" gentleman at TM store? I'm the old lady who stops by occasionally and studiously avoids buying the overpriced alcohol, because she brought her own! Now that it's legal, I may bring my own bowl, as well. Great, great story. I also have many fond memories of Cloud's Rest, especially with our two youngest kids. I would recommend that Hobbes not miss it on the way down.