Vacation Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Vacation Pass

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Has anyone actually done Vacation Pass?

Here is what I have figured out from Google Earth and the map. The yellow line is my proposed route, because I want to also climb Mt Barnard. It will be at the end of a trip, so my pack will be light. I have already been up George Creek to the lake below Mt Carl Heller and to Wallace Lake on the west side.

[rimg]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg23 ... 20Pass.jpg[/rimg]
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Re: Vacation Pass

Post by Hobbes »

Eric Su (2015 Sierra Challenge winner @ age 19) has a great blog called "Peaks for Freaks". He and his friends covered pretty much all the ground you are considering, including Vacation pass/Plateau point in 2013. (Yes, I know, when he was 17.) Here's the link to his TR:

http://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2013 ... rnard.html

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I read that post before. They climbed Mt. Carl Heller and then went on the plateau. On of the dotted lines on my map is one of the photo where they are looking down on Wallace Lake. Looks miserable, particularly if you are going up with a pack. They were just day-climbing. Still does not address my proposed route. But thanks for the link. It was good to read it again. I just remembered that I should look at the SPS web site to see if they have a report of a climb of Mt. Carl Heller too. I recall reading something years ago on Vacation Pass.

The manner in which they did not keep their group together is another subject entirely! Being an old fashioned climber I question the young hot-shots today and how they have near misses. That could have turned into a really bad situation.

I was up at Heller Lake and we got about a third of the way up Mt Heller. That was back in the days when you had to do George Creek before May 1. The rock slab they show on their photo was a slab of ice, so we backed down. We did not have as much trouble getting up George Creek - perhaps because we are good at micro-routefinding and as older folks, had a bit more patience scouting a better route.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

:eek: I just read Bob Burds Mt. Carl Heller climb. Talk about loosing people in your party! OMG - I am such an old-school conservative climber. I would punt on the entire climb rather than leave anyone behind.

Burd described coming down to Vacation Lake from Vacation Pass. It was all snow when he did it and I plan on later in August or September with no snow. But that side does not look bad. I gather it is the coming up from Wallace Lake that is the class 2-3 part. Whether I would go the long route via Barnard depends on weather - would like to climb Barnard anyway and may as well do it on the way if weather is solidly stable.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I'm still toying with the idea of doing a Williamson - Russell - Whitney hike. Go in Shepherd, follow Eric's line to Wallace, then up over Russell-Carillon. (Blue Water aka Lead Dog aka King Andy did the SoSHR route last year, but bypassed the major peaks by going through WLB up to Wallace, then over RC to Whitney MR.)

That Bob Burd crew is hard-core. You've never met Gazelle - very fast & quick. And even she was only playing with the idea of doing a couple of SC routes.

There's always someone richer, thinner or better looking. IMO, Eric Su is a world-class scrambler/climber/hiker. Wouldn't be surprised to hear about him doing some other kind of extreme ascent.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I have nothing agains their "hard core" style of peak bagging - Leaving people in your group abandoned on the route is not my style. Has nothing to do with being fast, or a great climber. If someone goes with me, I take care of them. If I am not willing to do that, I go alone. But I guess on Burd's "challenges" everyone is on their own.

Your plan sounds great- hope you can do it. For this summer I have played with travel plans for a loop through upper Kern via Shepherd Pass, Kerasrge Pass or up Bubbs Creek - all look wonderful - cannot make up my mind. If I do the Shepherd Pass route I will loop through the upper Kern, fishing, and then come back via Vacation Pass and George Creek. I am thinking of stashing my bicycle at the George Creek trailhead and ride back to get my car at Symes Creek. That is why I am asking about Vacation Pass.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gazelle »

Dont know if this helps but it is looking from Tunnabora peak in that direction
50.jpg
kristine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks Gazelle. That photo gives me some perspective on the George Creek side of the pass.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gazelle »

Hobbes or Wandering Daisy

i am looking to do the Tyndall, Williamson area peaks if you want a partner for some of it, meetup up there somewhere? wouldn't mind going out Russell/carillon col. Hobbes Russell is not that bad you should do it!
kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Yes, I would be interested. If Hobbes is interested I also want to do Russell from Wallace or Wales Lakes. It is one of the two 14'ers I have left to do, but do not want to solo it. Late August or early Sept is when I plan on doing my trip. At this point, I want to see how the snow melts before I commit to a date. I do not want to deal with a lot of snow up Shepherd Pass. As far as actually climbing with you, Gazelle, I am probably too slow for your pace.

I am not interested in getting a reserved permit; prefer a first-come. I also would not go out over Corrillian Col because I have other plans.