Considering the snowpack which is the better option

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Considering the snowpack which is the better option

Post by AlmostThere »

oldranger wrote:Personally I like peak mosquito season! Usually good flowers, good fishing, fewer people. What more could you ask for?
A West Nile diagnosis? :rolleyes:
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Look for trips in the southern Sierra. Generally the snow levels are lower and it melts faster in the south. For example, the High Sierra Trail out of Crescent Meadow is in the southern Sierra, the trail is generally on a south facing slope (snow melts faster), and the slope doesn't hold water so there are fewer mosquitoes. A 4-day/3-night trip will get you to Hamilton Lakes or Tamarack Lake and back. Both are beautiful destinations. Hamilton will be more crowded and there isn't a lot of flat space to spread out. Tamarack may be a muddy hike the last couple of miles below the lake and, if you take the low trail out of Bear Paw Meadow, it involves jumping Lone Pine Creek (if you are athletic) or wading the creek further up. If you take the high trail out of Bear Paw (toward the Elizabeth Pass Trail) you don't have to cross the creek.

Although not as visually impressive as the area above or the areas you have permits for, the Cottonwood Lakes area out of Lone Pine should be mostly snow free by mid July, and if it isn't then the north region of the Golden Trout Wilderness will be. To hike either, park your car at Horseshoe Meadow.

Regarding mosquitoes, I highly recommend that you wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt that mosquitoes cannot bite through. A 2-ply Supplex nylon shirt is light weight (cool enough in the sun and protects you from the sun's rays) and is mosquito proof. With long pants and shirt and a sun hat on your head with a neck flap there won't be much exposed skin to bite, just your hands and face. In fact, I use sun gloves which also helps. Dab a very small amount of 3M Ultrathon on the exposed skin and you are set. Don't forget a mosquito headnet just in case things get nasty.
waninggibbous
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by waninggibbous »

Ska-T,

Thanks for the great alternatives and mosquito advice! I'm assuming I need a wilderness permit for the High Sierra Trail as well? Where would I apply for that?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

waninggibbous wrote:Ska-T,

Thanks for the great alternatives and mosquito advice! I'm assuming I need a wilderness permit for the High Sierra Trail as well? Where would I apply for that?
Kings/Sequoia NP. The application period for any reservation in SEKI is already upon us -- they always start reservations for the year in March.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

See this page for information on wilderness permits for Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park (SEKI)
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... ermits.htm
This page explains how to apply for a permit by email, and if you get one, how to pay for it.

The above page has a link to this page showing which dates are fully booked for a given trail.
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/traildesc.htm

As of now the High Sierra Trail shows July 9 and 19 still available for reservation. Yes, it is a popular trail. That said, about 25% of SEKI wilderness permits are available for those who walk-up, i.e., first come, first served. That type of permit, in SEKI, is available beginning 1:00 PM the day before.
viewtopic.php?t=14265&p=106437#p106379
Further, some people will cancel out at the last minute and if they don't pick up their permit by 9:00 AM the day of their trip then that space is fair game.

I have never failed Mon-Thur to get a walk-up permit for a small group of people (1-3), but I don't generally hike the most popular trails. One reason I mention this is that if you watch for snow reports on the High Sierra Trail starting about Memorial Day you may discover when the trail as far as Hamilton is free enough of snow for your liking. At that time I would hit the trail. I've hiked to Hamilton or Tamarack in early June and mid June in some non-drought years. That is a scenic time to go, although early for wildflowers, and it beats the heavy crowds and the mosquito hatch. It also allows you to take another trip in July!
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

You could also consider starting on Alta in SeKi instead of the High Sierra Trail. Alta Meadow is really really beautiful with a gorgeous view of the Great Western Divide and would make a wonderful first night's camp.

ImageLunch break at Alta Meadow by Maia Averett, on Flickr
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
waninggibbous
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by waninggibbous »

Wow, Alta does look beautiful! Thank you. Thanks everyone for the great advice and info! I have a lot of decisions to make. I do like the idea of making two trips out of it (one by myself! Ahhhh!).
Rararob
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Rararob »

If you do decide to do Cloud's Rest, the top is quite wide and not scary. However, the approach from the Sunset Lakes is scary. There is a small part just before the top that looks too narrow to safely ascend, but once you get past it the summit opens up. I sat at that hump for about 20 minutes the first time is did it, with about 10 other scaredy cats. Once we summoned the courage though, it was worth it. I would not want to ascend if there was any chance of ice and I did not have the appropriate traction devices, while manageable, both sides require traverse over a narrow and rocky set of boulders.