June 19th-22nd plan B for yosemite?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: June 19th-22nd plan B for yosemite?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My opinion, but I would not go into Emigrant and miss Yosemite at peak water flow. Day-hiking in Yosemite, scenery-wise, is 100 times more spectacular than backpacking in Emigrant. As far as you are coming, I would focus on Yosemite Valley. You will find that Emigrant that time period will be difficult with snow and deep river crossings. I realise that the Yosemite regulations seem daunting if you are not familiar with them. The rangers are very helpful. If you are driving into Yosemite Valley anyway, try to get a first-come permit for backpacking and do a combination of short backpack and day-hikes. It is not that hard to get first-come permits for one or two people. I never reserve.

Four wonderful day-hikes; 1) Yosemite Falls, 2) Loop up JMT to top of Nevada Falls, side-trip to Little Yosemite Valley, down via Mist Trail, 3) Four Mile Trail 4) Park car at Glacier Point and take Panorama Trail -Mist Trail to Valley. Go up Four Mile to get your car. There is also a bus that goes up to Glacier Point. The 12-mile Valley Loop is also scenic. Or walk along the Merced. Lots to do. Drink wine in El Cap Meadows.

Driving in Yosemite Valley is very confusing for the first time visitor. Get a good up-to-date map and figure out all the one-way roads. I would not depend on a GPS to guide you. It can get very crowded on the roads. Very early in the morning is the best driving; then park the car and use the free shuttles when it is crowded. Check the YOsemite web site to be sure the roads you plan on using are open. There has been (and will be as the snow melts) a lot of road damage such as mud slides.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I agree. If you've never been to Yosemite it is not to be missed, and the lower elevations of the valley can easily keep you entertained for a few days...

This year, if you MUST backpack in June, look at Hoover Wilderness out of Leavitt Meadows to Lane and Roosevelt Lakes, up the river until you have to cross...Where it will be quite high and possibly dangerous. That's maybe 7 miles in. Self serve permits at the trailhead.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
historyperson
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by historyperson »

Thanks Daisy. I've gone to Yosemite but my girlfriend has not, and I know she would be amazed. We might have to look what your'e suggesting, but I'm worried about finding camping spots in the valley only two months out, and I'm definitely not paying $200 for a room...that's not our thing.
So, essentially, where would you stay at night? We have 3-4 days to fill before moving on to Lake Tahoe where we have free lodging.

Another option is backpacking the Ruby Mountains in Nevada...is it blasphemy to bring up another range on this board? :-#
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

If you can't get a camp spot you'll probably be driving back out.

$200 might get you dinner at the Awan hee but rooms are 600+. You can try to wait list the lodge but around 100+ others will have the same idea.

There's really no place to BP unless you have snow gear.

Sonora pass may still be closed so you can't even get to the e side until Carson pass.

The e ticket is the valley. Problem is that everyone will be on it.

Last June my 2 Bros couldn't find a place to stay until Merced so they just kept driving to San jose

Also when it's packed the buses are stuck in the same traffic. Bring or rent a bike to get around.

All this being said at a bare min drive in early to see the show for at least a day. One or earth's greatest natural wonders.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

historyperson wrote:
Another option is backpacking the Ruby Mountains in Nevada...is it blasphemy to bring up another range on this board? :-#
IN JUNE? You do realize they have the same problem -- LOTS of snow. The Rubies are 10000+ feet and the Great Basin gets plenty of snow.

They do, however, have yurts in far flung parts of the range, and there is a helicopter service that will drop you at one. For a pretty penny. The Ruby Hele-Skiing season was great this year.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

A wilderness permit allows camping at the walk-in backpacker's campsite the night before and night after your trip. That covers two nights in the valley. There are plenty of trails that get little use - just get a permit for one of those. You may even be surprised and get a first-come permit if others cancel to a more popular destination. There are permit stations at the park entrances. I would be surprised if every trailhead is full on weekdays. Sunday night is a good one to get. Friday and Saturday nights may fill up.

If 120 is open to the Valley (currently closed due to mud slides), there is free dispersed camping along the Evergreen Road, some more sites off a dirt road just after you cross the creek (Ackerson?). There are lots of campground on FS land along all the highways that go into Yosemite. I have even been as bold as to pay (bribe/charm) a single person at a campsite to share the site for a short over night stay. You have to pay for the added car and their campsite. With some creativity I think you can find places to camp. There is also a backpacker's campground at Hetch-Hetchy. Again, the road from the gas station to the valley will have to be cleard of the slide.

You did not say if you are driving or flying and renting a car, If flying, where to? You can fly into Reno and access the east side of the Sierra.

I still think it is too early to predict snow levels in June. The sure thing will be high water levels.

If you still decide to do Emigrant, Kennedy Meadows is a good early season trailhead. You quickly get to pretty scenery and there are fewer dubious stream crossings. I have gone into Kennedy Lake. You would have to go over some snow to get to Emigrant Lake.

I guess you could also just cancell the trip, get flight credits, and do this trip another year. You just happened to pick one of the highest snowpack years ever!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

AT is right about Ruby Mountains. This is a trip I did June 28 2011, a snow year like this year. We got up part way on the ridge traverse and quit.

[rimg]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg23 ... _small.jpg[/rimg]
Liberty Lake (conditions up top)

[rimg]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg23 ... _Small.jpg[/rimg]
Thomas Canyon - on the drier side, lower down
Greno
Topix Newbie

Post by Greno »

we have a permit starting at the post pile and hiking into Yosemite on July 23rd. Based on the history on the website, July 4 seems like the outside date for the road so we should be ok as Tioga will be open by then, but I have been prepping everyone for the snow, but the JMT should have a hell of a boot trail by that time. I am expecting at a minimum snow in the shade. We flew from Seattle to Las Vegas coming back from Olympic NP on Saturday and the Sierra is SOLID white.
historyperson
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by historyperson »

1) I ended up cancelling California altogether in favor of AZ, UT, and CO. We're gonna do seven national parks in 16 days. Stoked.

2) In a miraculous turn of events my group of friends has decided on a trip in late July and I have convinced them to do San Fran and Yosemite. Yes!!! Unfortunately, I don't know if I can convince them to backpack, but at least I'll be able to see the Sierras...haven't done so since 2008 :eek:

Edit: Those Ruby Mts. sure are beautiful. I enjoy the obscure aspect of them (speaking from a Southeastern U.S .perspective).
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Have you checked on the snowpack in AZ, UT and CO?