June 19th-22nd plan B for yosemite?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
historyperson
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: June 19th-22nd plan B for yosemite?

Post by historyperson »

1) I ended up cancelling California altogether in favor of AZ, UT, and CO. We're gonna do seven national parks in 16 days. Stoked.

2) In a miraculous turn of events my group of friends has decided on a trip in late July and I have convinced them to do San Fran and Yosemite. Yes!!! Unfortunately, I don't know if I can convince them to backpack, but at least I'll be able to see the Sierras...haven't done so since 2008 :eek:

Edit: Those Ruby Mts. sure are beautiful. I enjoy the obscure aspect of them (speaking from a Southeastern U.S .perspective).
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Have you checked on the snowpack in AZ, UT and CO?
historyperson
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by historyperson »

Have you checked on the snowpack in AZ, UT and CO?
Colorado is the only state to worry about since we'll be around 4-6,000 feet in Utah...with the exception of the La Sals, which we don't have to hike. Northern Colorado is where we'll do most of our hiking and backpacking, and the snow their has been melting quickly with the exception of their current storm. It was below 100% of average after an extremely warm March and April.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by gdurkee »

Historyperson: be careful of the definition of "open". It's true that many of the roads can get you close or even to trailheads in mid-June, but there's still a huge amount of snow. For the northern Sierra, this is now an all-time record year for water content -- meaning a very dense and slow melting snowpack. The semi-good news is below about 7,000 feet, it's below average so that'll melt out early (and is even gone in some places). Above that, though, it'll be mid-July before travel is reasonable. Streams will probably stay very high until late July.

Which reminds me, in addition to snow depth, stream crossings are an even more critical consideration. So plan your routes with those in mind. If there's not a bridge, it may be unsafe into at least mid-July, maybe longer.

And, as I write, this just in: https://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/update-f ... 6-2017.htm 91" at Tuolumne!! (8,600'). That's not going away in the near or far future.