Early season ~3 day trips

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Early season ~3 day trips

Post by sambieni »

Given the snowpack and my desire for avoiding snow at all costs, anyone have suggestions for 2 night/3 day trip that is lower elevation and avoids likely snowpack (and possibly major stream crossings as well?)?

For a trip over July 4 weekend. Last year this same time, I did solo Devil Postpile- > 1000 Island Lake -> Agnew loop for my first ever Sierra's backpack, but I see 10K elevation not likely feasible this year during same time period.

I am coming from LA area so prefer southern Sierra, ideally on eastern side.

Level 2 experience.
Class 2 comfort
Great scenery/lake/forests, you name it. Not a photographer nor into fishing.

Just seeking a nice, but not too tough ~25-30ish miles over 3 days. Using as warm up for harder trip end of summer. Similar, ideally, to last year's trip. Guidebooks are pushing me to too high elevations that this year may be unwise.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Early season ~3 day trips

Post by markskor »

Early July will probably still hold snow (north facing slopes especially) - above 9,000 feet, Sierra.
If Tioga is open by then...(BTW, my guess is June 25th), and you have 3 days (nights)? Would recommend doing the Grand Canyon of Tuolumne. Big waterfalls this year...should be epic...hopefully trails around Glen Aulin will be passable. Check before.
Recommend starting out White Wolf (7,900') - Pate (4,500') - and then you would be looking up the falls as you climb trail to Tuolumne (8,800'). Hopefully, Yarts - (weekends only in June) - will get you back to your car...or hitchhike it.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

pretty sure even July 4th, the trail at the bottom of the glen will be flooded, especially this year. You could still do it, but in water shoes and with a good attitude towards cold water.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Thought of Tuolomne, but the 1 way / hitch return not gonna work. Hmm.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

The Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne Hike has two daily shuttles connecting White Wolf to TM, YARTS and the Hikers Bus. If the times are the same as last year, one's in the morning and the other the afternoon. Both are nice buses and should be running 7 days a week in July. So no need to hitch if you don't want to.

Muir Gorge is passable if the gauging station above Hetch Hetchy is below 13 feet. The ankle deep wade of the Mattie Creek overflow is easy, flat, and fun and cool but not cold on sunny afternoons.

The hike is better earlier (in a low snow year) because Pate Valley at only 4000 feet can get pretty hot in July. And some folks can get alarmed by the possibility of seeing a rattler at the lower elevations. If your OK with those things, it is a beautiful hike.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I am coming from LA area so prefer southern Sierra, ideally on eastern side.
Try Golden Trout Wilderness, most other Sierra locations to the north will still have snow at 7/4.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Golden Trout might be a good option now that the drought has abated. It was difficult while the creeks were all dry because there aren't a zillion lakes. But one might make a loop of Jordan Hot Springs, Maggie Lakes, and some of the meadows. As with everything tho the roads to trailheads are going to be the real problem -- the trails haven't had maintenance in a long time (my trail crew was supposed to go in last year, but issues with the NF district get in the way so that never happened) but it's fairly straightforward to get through/around fallen trees. Downed trees in the road or washouts will be a different matter - call the ranger district a little later on to see which are open. As the permits are free and there are no quotas, that much will be smooth sailing...
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Thanks. I may just be camping in the area and doing some day hiking; hopefully with my little ones in tow.

I pushed my "early" season backpack to end of a July for a solo 3-day out of Wolverton in SEKI. If snow is reasonable, I will get to Alta Peak, otherwise, just a leisurely trip around Alta Meadows and maybe on the High Sierra Trail or somehow down to Tablelands/Moose Lake area. I am not much of a X-country person (or at least never have been before) so this is really condition dependent. Ultimately, just want to test gear and breathe the fresh air before end of summer longer trip with my buddy.

(previously posted in wrong thread, relocated)