Dispersed Car Camping Near Sierra Sky Ranch?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Dispersed Car Camping Near Sierra Sky Ranch?

Post by InsaneBoost »

I'm not exactly wanting to sleep in the car, but park the car in say a turnout and then setup camp somewhere near by in the woods. I assume this is illegal and can't be done, but wanted to check.

Last year I went up the Sierra Sky Ranch Road, and turned off somewhere, not sure where. I believer either 5S95 or 5S39, can't remember which, but eventually hit a snowline where I couldn't go anymore (2-3ft on the ground). I assume the snow is going to be much lower than that this year. I noticed what might have been the night before, or the night before that someone had clearly camped there. You could see where they made a fire, had setup their tent area, etc.

As mentioned, I assume this is illegal, but wanted to double check as well just in case it wasn't. I want to go camping, but as we all know most campgrounds are either closed or are going to be a mess such as in Yosemite. This seems like the easiest option right now without having to backpack somewhere, but maybe there are some areas open that won't be covered in snow that I could backpack to?

Thoughts?
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Dispersed Car Camping Near Sierra Sky Ranch?

Post by oldranger »

As long as it is Forest Service and not private or specifically posted no camping you can camp just about anywhere.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

I've been snow camping in that area once a year since 07, we go in four wheel drives and drive quite a ways back in. A couple of the years there wasn't any snow, others were camped up there too. It's usually just us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Oh wow. This is good to know. Never realized this. So basically as long as you are off the road, or at least in a turnout section where two cars can still pass each other safely, you can setup around there?
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

you can pull off the road up to one vehicle length. During the summer there may be open fire restrictions, and disposing of human waste may be problematic. So just use the same LNT principles you use in the backcountry.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Really good to know. Thanks for the information everyone. Will make things a bit easier this year for a last minute night of 'car camping.'
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

There are a lot of places in the national forest where you can do this. Lots of people around here have their favorite pullouts - drive out to Courtright and you can see the RVs and tents in nearly every pullout. Near Yosemite there are a couple of places on the road to Hetch Hetchy -- not many tho, a lot of private land out that way -- and then there are some FS roads right before the 41 gate (the gate opens after snow melts) that actually connect to the road system out toward Sky Ranch Road, and go up the hill toward Biledo Meadow. On the way in via the 140 not much opportunity, but there are campgrounds here and there, cross the Briceberg bridge and drive back and there are some camps there, and when you get to El Portal you can cross the river on a bridge and get to campsites there - FS campground, not dispersal camping. Many of the pullouts along the highway are posted no camping however.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

I guess my main confusion is. Why can you park your car on the side of the road and go down into the woods so many feet and camp, but backpacking you have to have a wilderness permit.

Are those strictly just for keeping tracking in case you get lost and the obvious keep the trail minimal?
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

A wilderness permit is required in a designated wilderness area, well away from roads.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Don't know why I didn't even think of that. Doh. Guess it's just odd to not see the National Forest a mess with people. But I guess that has something to do with lack of bathrooms, picnic tables, etc. Not to mention the rough roads you travel down.