Dispersed Car Camping Near Sierra Sky Ranch?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Dispersed Car Camping Near Sierra Sky Ranch?

Post by SSSdave »

Dispersed camping has been discussed many times on this board over the years. It is up to the individual to research what and where one can legally do so and where one cannot. Generally national forests and BLM lands say little about the subject up front for good reason. There are simply large numbers of clueless visitors whose strategy amounts to little more than monkey see monkey do. They see someone camping roadside some place and guess that means it must be ok. The blind leading the blind. And worse they probably have little outdoor knowledge so end up doing environmentally stupid things. The NFS understands experienced outdoor folk will make the extra effort to find out about these things while the rest they prefer not to encourage and expect them to use public campgrounds where like kids they will be safe in their little sandbox.

All have real information, often paper handout sheets at ranger stations and on their web sites dedicated pages. All one needs to do is Google search. And note each national forest and BLM zone policy varies so one should research each area of interest. Generally NFS policy is that unless specifically stated as a no disperse camping area, all areas may be camped at. That does not mean if one does not see a sign saying "no dispersed camping" that then camping must be ok. No, one has to have done their research about it. Also sleeping inside a vehicle even with nothing outside a vehicle is also considered camping. Most NFS show no disperse camping zones on their maps. Note if one makes a fire or uses a camp stove, one must have a California campfire permit and follow policy.

Thus buying an actual NF map is often key. A better reason for buying a map is that they show all the forest dirt roads where such may be legal including their FS numbers. Just eyeballing dirt roads off paved highway then blindly exploring is asking for trouble getting lost or worse. Generally all zones around public campgrounds, towns, and infrastructure, will be no camping areas and that actually includes some rather large areas. Everywhere along SR120 from Tioga Pass to US395 has no dispersed camping as an example.

David
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

Big Ed wrote:A wilderness permit is required in a designated wilderness area, well away from roads.
not all of them. The lesser used Wilderness Areas do not require permits. There may or may not be self-register kiosks at trailheads.

the no camping signs you see posted are usually in popular areas where without some controls the area would get trashed and overrun. Or may be an environmentally sensitive spot. Or previously used too much and was beginning to show wear and tear. One site near me has two nice dispersed camping sites on opposite sides of a road. The FS closes one side for a few years, then moves the signs and barricades to the opposite side, letting that spot recover. So far it is working out well.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

SSSdave wrote:Dispersed camping has been discussed many times on this board over the years. It is up to the individual to research what and where one can legally do so and where one cannot. Generally national forests and BLM lands say little about the subject up front for good reason. There are simply large numbers of clueless visitors whose strategy amounts to little more than monkey see monkey do. They see someone camping roadside some place and guess that means it must be ok. The blind leading the blind. And worse they probably have little outdoor knowledge so end up doing environmentally stupid things. The NFS understands experienced outdoor folk will make the extra effort to find out about these things while the rest they prefer not to encourage and expect them to use public campgrounds where like kids they will be safe in their little sandbox.

All have real information, often paper handout sheets at ranger stations and on their web sites dedicated pages. All one needs to do is Google search. And note each national forest and BLM zone policy varies so one should research each area of interest. Generally NFS policy is that unless specifically stated as a no disperse camping area, all areas may be camped at. That does not mean if one does not see a sign saying "no dispersed camping" that then camping must be ok. No, one has to have done their research about it. Also sleeping inside a vehicle even with nothing outside a vehicle is also considered camping. Most NFS show no disperse camping zones on their maps. Note if one makes a fire or uses a camp stove, one must have a California campfire permit and follow policy.

Thus buying an actual NF map is often key. A better reason for buying a map is that they show all the forest dirt roads where such may be legal including their FS numbers. Just eyeballing dirt roads off paved highway then blindly exploring is asking for trouble getting lost or worse. Generally all zones around public campgrounds, towns, and infrastructure, will be no camping areas and that actually includes some rather large areas. Everywhere along SR120 from Tioga Pass to US395 has no dispersed camping as an example.

David
That's the one thing I'm not finding easily. The "no dispersed camping" sections of maps. Perhaps it's because I know where I want to go, and those areas don't have any issues being it's literally nowhere. I recall them saying look at the "ENVUM" maps, but I can't seem to find those. Or maybe I'm just not figuring out what that is abbreviated for.

As far as everything else, such as LNT and what not, I'd be fine there. Even if I didn't know that, it's just common sense to take out everything you brought as far as I'm concerned.
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

True, the Jennie Lakes Wilderness doesn't require a permit. It's the only one I've been into that doesn't. The point I was trying to make was more that he's not likely to need a wilderness permit along a road.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It might just be old markup language for Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)

eg: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/r ... rdb5414896
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

rlown wrote:It might just be old markup language for Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)

eg: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/r ... rdb5414896
I was thinking something along that line, but I don't see anything in those stating you can or can't disperse camp. Even around the campgrounds shown (granted they may be expecting you to use common sense and know you can't do it there, along with the areas that aren't National Forest within the National Forest).

Again I'm sure the areas I plan on going aren't going to break any rules as there is nothing around them, but obviously want to be correct and not be "that guy."
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok. do a search on dispersed camping for your FS site of choice and you get: https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sierra ... 0&actid=34
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

I guess this is where I'm confused now. Is that saying you can ONLY disperse camp in those sections? Or are those just more dedicated areas that may have bathrooms and picnic tables (I see some have minor features).
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

you know your next step. Call the number and ask :nod:

Before our trips to Upper mattie, we'd crash outside the park on an old logging road. That was in the late 80's. Drive in about 300 yds, lay down the tarp and sleep.
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

You could call the agency you're interested in and ask. I know in the Inyo National Forest a lot of it is restricted to campgrounds only. In the Sierra National Forest where I'm more likely to go, dispersed camping is only prohibited near large recreation areas (excluding signed spots as mentioned above). Like Huntington Lake, there are signs on the different approaches to the area stating "camping in designated campgrounds only". Outside those areas you will see campsites here and there, be sure and check if campfires are allowed before each trip.