Dispersed Car Camping Near Sierra Sky Ranch?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dispersed Car Camping Near Sierra Sky Ranch?

Post by AlmostThere »

InsaneBoost wrote:I guess this is where I'm confused now. Is that saying you can ONLY disperse camp in those sections? Or are those just more dedicated areas that may have bathrooms and picnic tables (I see some have minor features).
No, it's not saying that at all. Otherwise law enforcement would be making bank, fining hundreds of people every weekend.

I sleep at trailheads in national forest, as so many others do. It's not allowed in the parks because there would be thousands jamming themselves into pullouts and sleeping in cars... national forest outside designated wilderness areas is different. There will be zones where you have to camp only in designated campgrounds, but there are plenty of places you can pull in and sleep.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

So then as long as you can pull/reverse in you're okay. Probably not wise using a turnout to park in? Or does that count too as long as the tent is setup in the woods and not in the road?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

getting aggravating now. call the number!!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

InsaneBoost wrote:I guess this is where I'm confused now. Is that saying you can ONLY disperse camp in those sections? Or are those just more dedicated areas that may have bathrooms and picnic tables (I see some have minor features).
those areas listed are just the more popular dispersed sites.

The MVUM maps only show where you can drive. In most cases you can pull off the road shown on the MVUM to park (one vehicle length) and hike in a distance to disperse camp. You are no longer allowed to put your vehicle in 4wd and just drive through the forest off road weaving around trees to a remote campsite. At one time that was allowed, and the number of people doing that was so low it was not creating a problem. The exponential proliferation of ATVs, quads, and other OHVs necessitated some controls. The off road group Blue Ribbon Coalition actually started the control movement. They saw the emerging problem and approached the Forest Service. Their intent was to establish some reasonable controls before an environmental group went to court and forced a heavy handed overkill blanket ban. The Sierra Club and other groups got involved after the BRC started the ball rolling.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

getting aggravating now. call the number!!
Patience Russ, go count rain drops. :lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

I was looking at some forest service maps in Oregon several weeks ago and they had a specific marking (dots parallel to the road) on the map for roads along which dispersed camping was legal. It's the first time I've seen it displayed so clearly.

InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

That would be a nice addition to have here.

As far as the details. After speaking with them, basically all the information on here was correct. The 'no zones' would be the Merced River Canyon, as well as Shaver, Bass, Huntington, and Redinger Lake. Along with obviously not camping near campgrounds, private areas, etc.

As for the turnout, which was my main concern, as long as it's in the forest boundary you can park it there, and then walk into the woods 100-150'.