Taboose Pass or Sawmill Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Taboose Pass or Sawmill Pass

Post by maverick »

Frozenintime,

The Meet-up will be next week, you will have several members who will be using Taboose Pass, so you will have a better idea on the conditions, when those members reports start flowing in. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

maverick wrote:Difficult stream crossings are always best done in the morning, water levels continue to rise during the day as snow melt feeds the creek. Don't forget that last year cannot be compared to this year, snow levels, especially in SEKI, are way over average.
True for many high altitude Sierra streams. But we don't want to overgeneralize here. The lowest stream flow depends on how far the crossing point is from the snow that is melting in the hot afternoon sun. For streams higher up that are close to the melt area, peak flows are in the evening because the melting snow is near and low flows occur in the early morning. But for streams lower down, sometimes the situation is far different. For example, lowest flow in the Tuolumne River in Pate Valley is about 7 p.m. because it takes the water many hours to flow down that far from Mt Lyell and the rest of the watershed. Lowest flows in the Merced in Yosemite Valley are at about midnight. Other low elevation crossings like Bubb's Creek near Road's End are probably also not lowest in the morning.
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

great news, mav, i'll be waiting to hear then:)

dave, that's interesting information, thank you.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

".... I liked to start up the east side in the (almost late) afternoon. This way your'e not dying of sunstroke like in the morning. I don't remember ever reading here of another who liked my way." CrossCountry.

We like your way, and have used it I believe, more often than not. Driving from the coast, we hike in late of necessity as much as a preference, but it 's so much better than dossing down in the snakey desert somewhere. I am always dying to get up in there, so very late starts- even headlamp traveling is standard fare.
IMG_6553.JPG
Probably just arrived.
DSC01620.JPG
A fire makes up for all the hiking in the dark. Though it looks like my son is not smiling as much as grimacing from the heat- suffering while I focus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.